Topic: 1936 Interior door panel material

Mr Rogers    -- 03-18-2021 @ 12:02 PM
  Wanting to make new backings from my original semi destroyed parts (I'll use as a pattern not shown). The material seems to be a hard tar like cardboard (see pic). Very brittle. Not sure where to go to purchase. Suggestions as to what/where to buy sheets?

This message was edited by Mr Rogers on 3-18-21 @ 12:32 PM

Steve Kennedy    -- 03-18-2021 @ 5:31 PM
  My previous owner used plexiglass, very water resistant.

trjford8    -- 03-19-2021 @ 6:34 AM
  You can get that panel board at most upholstery shops or they can order it for you. You might also check with Cartouche(Mac's) as they have some precut panels for some vehicles.

Don Rogers    -- 03-19-2021 @ 10:25 AM
  Make sure to get water proof cardboard panels.

nelsb01    -- 03-19-2021 @ 2:09 PM
  As I look at the picture, I dont think Mr Rogers is asking about the actual door panel cardboard, I think he is asking about the thick tar paper material that the manufacturers put over the places behind the door panel cardboard. Places where there was a need for some form of backing material for the door panels, as these areas were where passengers pushed on the door panel.

Mr Rogers    -- 03-19-2021 @ 9:24 PM
  Yes, the thick/hard tar cardboard material is what I need (approx. 1/8" thick). The pattern fits against the metal door frame. The interior fabric attached to a cardboard material would fit next against the tar material.

trjford8    -- 03-20-2021 @ 8:22 AM
  If you think you need it use roofing felt. I prefer to use a good grade of black plastic sheeting for a vapor barrier..

Mr Rogers    -- 03-20-2021 @ 7:56 PM
  My understanding of "the tar board" was for sound deadening.

Don Rogers    -- 03-20-2021 @ 8:09 PM
  To clarify.....The only sound deadener in the door was sprayed on the inside of the outer door skin. There was sometimes some padding around moving door parts, but that was it. The trim fabric was sewn to the black waterproof cardboard and the cardboard was then attached to the inner door panel with push type buttons. Thats it nothing more. The black cardboard shown in Mr. Rogers first photo is a remnant of that waterproof cardboard.

This message was edited by Don Rogers on 3-20-21 @ 8:11 PM

wmsteed    -- 03-21-2021 @ 9:36 AM
  'Old habits die hard', to that end I would strongly suggest that you refrain from using 'roofing felt' tar paper inside of a vehicle.. Tar paper/roofing felt is generally 15#, is is a breathable product intended to let moisture vapor breath out of a building. an additional problem with tar paper is that it can emit an asphalt odor in to the vehicle.
I think it was in the early 50's that the manufactures started to use a moisture barrier on doors to close up the openings in the inner metal panel and protect the backing panel for the upholstery. By the '60 the manufactures switched to plastic sheeting, about 6mil, this was glued to the inner side of the door. As a general rule if the door had to be worked on the workman tore the plastic off and discarded it.
There are several laminated vapor barriers available, usually the core is a rosin product in lieu of asphalt/tar. The most common vapor barrier in the last twenty plus years has been a 6 mil plastic product.
I use to have a neighbor that worked for a company that built high end limo's and custom SUV's. The backing board they used was a 3/16"+ thick paper like product that had a heavy mat black coating on both sides.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

JHauschultz    -- 04-02-2021 @ 9:08 AM
  The door panel fabric itself. Was there an adhesive so that the areas where the fabric is pressed into the long thin depressions would stick? Thank you. And...you know me. You show up everywhere with advice that's always right and correct.

42YearsandWaiting

This message was edited by JHauschultz on 4-2-21 @ 9:51 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14686