Topic: 39 FOR GAS TANK

DJACK    -- 06-26-2010 @ 6:37 PM
  ON A 39 2DR CONVERTABLE DO YOU HAVE TO RAISE THE BODY TO GET THE GAS TANKS OUT.

THANKS DENNIS

This message was edited by DJACK on 6-26-10 @ 7:28 PM

trjford8    -- 06-26-2010 @ 8:23 PM
  To remove the stock tank you will not have to remove the body. Drain the tank, remove the bolts, remove the gas neck and rubber sleeve and disconnect the wire to the sending unit. Push the tank towards the driver's side and the passenger side of the tank should drop down. If it does not drop down you may have to use a pry bar to pry the right side past the frame rail.

DJACK    -- 06-27-2010 @ 5:40 AM
  THANKS
DENNIS

Pauls39    -- 06-27-2010 @ 2:19 PM
  Drain the tank. Remove the bolts and line, remove the filler pipe, loosen the tail pipe and remove the right rear shock. Slide the tank to the left, and drop it down on the right side. Pull the tank out to the right
Before installing a new tank measure the demension of the flange on the right side and the tank side to flange demension on the left. Some of the new (off-shore?) tanks require some grinding and pounding before they can be installed from the bottom. The original size tanks will go in or out from underneath.

gbgarnold    -- 06-27-2010 @ 3:28 PM
  Paul is right on both counts. I just did this on a '38 coupe - same tank - and was hesitant to modify the new tank for various reasons. In spite of well-known made in USA name brand tank, could only install the tank by removing all body bolts and raising the rear of the body from the frame by about four inches. My bet is that you will find yourself having to do the same. Good luck!

Wolfie    -- 06-27-2010 @ 6:24 PM
  I replaced my tank on a 1940 with a steel tank from a leading supplier. The tank was beautiful but wouldn't fit from the bottom. I measured it compared to the original and found the flange to be the same, but the tank was appriximately 3/16" wider than on the original. I had to grind about 1/16" plus on each frame rail and it went in easily. I painted both the frame rail and tank before installation and you can't tell that I ground the frame rails. Do as others have said on the removal and reverse it for the install.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1468