Topic: Oil pump gasket leaking

oatycorb    -- 03-16-2021 @ 6:12 AM
  So a few weeks ago I was preparing to install the oil pan on my 59ab engine. I poured some oil into the oil pump gears to prime it and bolted up the pump. Got the oil pan nicely sealed up and installed then immediately realized that the flywheel (which was still on my work bench) cannot be fitted with the pan in place. After learning some colorful new curse words I took it all apart again and ordered new gaskets and a new clutch disc and pressure plate. Got the new parts a few days ago and was preparing to put everything back together when I noticed that the oil pump gear plate gasket on my new Melling M-19 pump was wet with oil all around the outside edges. The pump body was completely dry above the plate so I know it's seeping from the gasket. So my question is, does this need to be addressed or am I splitting hairs? It seems to me that a slight leak at the pump gasket probably wouldn't affect the pumps function but then again to my mind it shouldn't be leaking on a brand new pump. Hopefully you far more experienced guys can shed some light on this, thanks!

DanD32    -- 03-17-2021 @ 1:25 PM
  I would check the bolts that hold the bottom plate on if they are tight i would take it off and check the gasket and see if the plate is flat make or replace the gasket and retourque the bolts Thats just me iam sure someone here has other ideas that might differ.also you might want to remove the pump to do this it would be much easier or call the manuufacter for help or A replacement pump

kubes40    -- 03-17-2021 @ 3:04 PM
  Me? I'd be certain there were no leaks at the gasket for fear of loosing pressure. While the loss may be small, I would not take any chances.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-17-21 @ 3:41 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-17-2021 @ 3:10 PM
  hi oil pump leak
I would take the bottom plate off and see if the gasket is broken or missing, and at the same time check with a straight edge and see if there are any gaps, [ like poor machining, ]
if it leaks now it is going to get a lot worse when you start the engine,
and most likely will never have good oil pressure,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

carcrazy    -- 03-17-2021 @ 3:39 PM
  I would take the pump off of the engine, get a sheet of some very fine emery cloth or sand paper and a piece of plate glass. Place the emery cloth, rough side up, on top of the glass. Individually rub each of the two mating surfaces that form the leaking joint across the surface of the sandpaper until they are perfectly straight, flat and smooth.

oatycorb    -- 03-19-2021 @ 4:45 PM
  Thanks everybody for the good advice, I'll take it apart this weekend to find the source of the problem. I torqued the 4 bolts to spec and that seemed to slow the leak a bit but the problem is still there so obviously there's an issue. Again thank you to all of you who took the time to read my post, I'd never get this engine together properly without all your help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14679