Topic: Brakelighter - Diodes - '36 Phaeton

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 03-15-2021 @ 11:16 AM
  Okay, so I posted something on this previously, but now have a slighted different question.

I am installing a brakelighter third brake light and turn signal under my '36 Phaeton. As far as I can tell, I will need to install diodes in line for the brake and signal wires because of the double-filament bulbs. I am planning to put the brakelighter wiring in cloth conduit because I don't like the idea of multicolored wires running underneath, and well, why not.

Now here is the question, can anyone think of a reason why I should NOT also put the diodes in the same conduit? My thought is that it would protect them, and that they would be less likely to get disconnected. BUT, I know nothing about diodes other than what I have read on Wikipedia. So, could the conduit cause problems? Fire hazard? Overheating, etc. I am guessing unlikely, but since there are a lot of much more experience folks on this thread, I thought I would pose the question.

Any thoughts welcome. Hopefully this simple project (which was supposed to last an hour and has now lasted weeks) will soon be over. By way of background, this all coincided with a short, and non-functioning turn signals that I finally (think) I have sorted with a new ground.

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-15-2021 @ 12:34 PM
  I'm thinking you won't need the diodes. I believe your car had double filament bulbs to begin with, regular headlights/tail lights and stop light. If you're going with LED's it may be different.
Paul in CT

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 03-15-2021 @ 1:41 PM
  The brakelighter wiring diagram says to use diodes for installation with double filament bulbs. It is an LED third-brake light, so maybe that is the issue? It is honestly all greek to me.

This message was edited by smithcandrew1036V8 on 3-15-21 @ 1:44 PM

svmsr1044    -- 03-15-2021 @ 1:53 PM
  I have installed a Brakelighter on 3 of my early Fords, no mention of diodes in the instructions, and non used. They have been functioning properly for years.
Regards,
Steve

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 03-15-2021 @ 1:55 PM
  Interesting. Do you use as both turn signal and brake lights? Am I misreading the wiring instructions? I would rather not install them, but will if needed.

svmsr1044    -- 03-15-2021 @ 1:59 PM
  I wired as per instructions and have brake light and turn signal function.

40cpe    -- 03-15-2021 @ 2:05 PM
  I see two ways the third brake light could be wired: 1) would be to run a dedicated wire from the load side of the brake light switch to the 3rd brake light. 2) would involve a wire from the bright (brake) filament in each tail light to the 3rd brake light. This would require a diode in each wire to prevent backfeed into the signal system.

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 03-15-2021 @ 2:45 PM
  So option 1 is what i think is in the standard wiring instructions. I am confused as to why they would include the diode instructions to be used with dual filament bulbs. I guess I try it without and if it works move on. If it doesn't I can always try again.

40cpe    -- 03-15-2021 @ 6:33 PM
  I posted before I looked for the wiring instructions for the Brakelighter. It looks like someone has drawn the diodes in on your picture. The diodes are not included in the link I looked up.

The 3rd light has two separate sides to facilitate the signal function. Each side has a positive and negative connection. Just switch the pos/neg to reverse polarity.

fenbach    -- 03-15-2021 @ 8:35 PM
  here's a link to a better picture of the wiring diagram with the diodes [drawn in].

http://www.brakelighter.com/v/vspfiles/instructions/6-volt_positive_modified_wiring_diagram.jpg

notice that the turn signals are also drawn in. the diode on the brakelight keeps it from blinking. the diode on the turn signal keeps it from being a brake light. they [obviously] would not be needed if the brake light and turn signal light shared a common filament. leave the diode off the brake light and it will still be a brake light but will blink. leave it off the turn signal and it will still be turn signal but also another brake light.
but back to your question, i connected an IN4001 diode to a 6-volt brake light [and a battery] and held onto it. it does get hot but not to the point i had to let go. why don't you just connect a brake light and your diode in line to a battery, wait a few minutes and decide.

JM    -- 03-15-2021 @ 8:36 PM
  Why not consult with the manufacturer of the Brakelighter and let him advise you on what you need to do. I'm using the Brakelighter in my '35 fordor, but just as a brake light. If I can find the original instruction sheet, I'll read up on the details of wiring as a brake light and direction signals.

John

Steve Kennedy    -- 03-16-2021 @ 7:55 AM
  I don't have the Brakelighter on my '36, but there is an orange wire coming from the turn signal switch on the steering column, that goes to the brake light switch and some how that interrupts the stop light when I am braking and turning and the light does blink.

I am also using leds front and rear. I had to install a flasher that uses timing rather than heat to cause it to blink. That is probably what your diode does. When I find the part number, I will post it.

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 03-16-2021 @ 8:09 AM
  I have the flasher for LED. I don't think that is what the diode is to control. I think it is, as noted above, to stop bleed back. I guess I am just not sure I understand how it works for some folks with double filament only hooked to one line. "Maybe", it depends on how your turn signals were connected? If they are on your brake line, then connecting to that would work. BUT, then you couldn't brake and turn at the same time, right? So it seems like in a proper installation turn signals would be on the light main, and brake on the brake filament. That way you can get brake and turn. I don't know. I am going to call the owner of brakerlighter and talk it through with him. Super nice guy.

TomO    -- 03-16-2021 @ 8:21 AM
  If you can tell us how you want the BrakeLighter to work, we can give you better help. Here is a link to the BrakeLighter instructions :
http://www.brakelighter.com/v/vspfiles/instructions/6v_Positive_Instructions.pdf

Tom

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 03-16-2021 @ 8:23 AM
  Okay, so as soon as I posted the last post I could see the argument for connecting brake and turn on the same filament. I guess I just need to figure out how mine is wired and wire accordingly.

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 03-16-2021 @ 8:25 AM
  I want it to work as both brake and turn signal. But, there are two sets of instructions for positive ground. One set, with the hand written diodes, says for use with double filament bulbs. But now, as I think I understand it, that is only necessary if your turn signals are wired to the main and brake to the brake. IF, turn signals were wired on the brake line, then just follow the standard wiring instructions. Right?

TomO    -- 03-17-2021 @ 7:29 AM
  Right

Tom

therunwaybehind    -- 03-17-2021 @ 8:33 AM
  Sometimes you needed a Zener diode to give voltage regulation to avoid burning out the filament but my experience was then the Zener burned out!

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 03-17-2021 @ 10:08 AM
  Thank you everyone for helping me think through this. Seems pretty straightforward now.

fordy8    -- 03-28-2021 @ 5:06 PM
  The brake lights are both connected to one side of the brake switch. If you try use the same elements as turn signals then every time you use the turn signals both bulbs will light because of feedback through that connection , the diode prevents that. As far as I know, my wife is the only one that can turn both ways at the same time.

This message was edited by fordy8 on 3-28-21 @ 5:09 PM

1934 Ford    -- 04-05-2021 @ 8:37 AM
  I've had the Brakelighter in my 34 Fordor for 17 years, without diodes. Works fine.

1934 Ford's since 1972

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 04-21-2021 @ 3:30 PM
  Finally got everything working, w/o diodes. I had to run a dedicated positive ground back to the battery... was struggling to get a good chassis connection... Thank you again to everyone for all of the help!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14677