Topic: Installing armrest 39 Standard

Gary M.    -- 03-13-2021 @ 2:30 PM
  Hi guys, I want to install front door armrests on my 39 Tudor Standard . They were never on this car since new. I'm not sure how they mount. Does anyone have a diagram showing how ? I'm also installing a passenger side sun visor since the car never had one. Can I assume that there is a mounting bracket under the headliner ? It feels like there is but not sure. Any advice would be great. Thanks .....

kubes40    -- 03-13-2021 @ 3:01 PM
  Gary, there are three holes behind the headliner that will accept the visor bracket screws. I suggest you feel for them and when you think you have them, push a pin through just to be certain. The "large" hole in the body (behind the liner) that is meant for clearance of the bracket pivot is more easily felt. Once you are confident you have found it, you'll need to slit the liner with a razor.
Installing the arm rest(s) is going to be a bit trickier as your door panels will not have clearance holes in the backing for ease of figuring the proper location of the three screws that secure the rest to the door panel.
I trust you have the necessary bracket with the arm rest(s).
There's a "slot" in the inner door structure that the arm rest brace slips down - in to. In my photo, you can see it in the approximate middle, at the very bottom of the inner structure.

In the second photo, to the far right, you can see the holes for the visor.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Gary M.    -- 03-13-2021 @ 4:42 PM
  Actually I do not have the brackets for behind the door panel. From your pics it looks like once the armrest is mounted to the door panel with the backing plate, the backing plate itself hooks over the support on the door then the door panel gets remounted. Yes it will be difficult to figure out exactly where the armrest is placed. Hopefully I can find a diagram of the exact placement of the screw holes. Thanks for the info !!

carcrazy    -- 03-13-2021 @ 4:46 PM
  If your car was originally built as a standard model there may not be a bracket above the headliner for the RH sun visor.

Gary M.    -- 03-13-2021 @ 5:07 PM
  It is there, I located it by pressing against the headliner.

kubes40    -- 03-13-2021 @ 5:42 PM
  There are provisions for two visors in all '39 passenger car models .

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 03-14-2021 @ 5:54 AM
  See attached photo it shows mounting brackets.

Gary M.    -- 03-14-2021 @ 8:17 AM
  Wow, thanks, very helpful ! The person I bought my car from installed a Lebaron Bonny interior. Do you know if the replacement door panels would have a drill hole template printed on the backside of the panel ? I have not yet removed the panel. Thanks...

kubes40    -- 03-14-2021 @ 8:37 AM
  They may. If I were to bet, I'd offer 75% odds the holes are there.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Gary M.    -- 03-14-2021 @ 11:12 AM
  Thanks!! Also, I've never taken off the door handle or the window crank. What holds them on ?

TomO    -- 03-15-2021 @ 8:48 AM
  You need to push the escutcheon back to expose the handle base. Then use a small punch or a lager nail to push out the pin holding the handle on. Be careful to not lose the pin. They are available from some of the vendors, but you will have to wait for shipment.

Here is a link to handles for sale. You can look at the photos to see where the pins fit through the holes in the handle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1940-Ford-Deluxe-Interior-Door-Handles-brown-coated-2/153478554614?hash=item23bc08e3f6:g:crcAAOSwtx1c0Oqj

Tom

Mr Rogers    -- 03-15-2021 @ 10:01 AM
  Tom has it nailed.

Gary M.    -- 03-15-2021 @ 5:36 PM
  Thanks guys !!

Gary M.    -- 03-15-2021 @ 6:21 PM
  Does anyone know where I can purchase armrest covers of my fabric choice or just purchase just the fabric ? The fabric is Lebaron Bonney #33-1S . I don't know if that is a Ford number or a Lebaron Bonny number. I also don't know if Cartouche offers separate pieces or just sets. Any info is appreciated. Thanks...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14674