Topic: steel or copper head gaskets?

danliveshere    -- 06-26-2010 @ 6:35 AM
  I'm about to order the gaskets for my 35 motor. I've sourced new 21 stud alumium heads (manufactured in Sydney Australia). Do I use steel or copper gaskets? Regards Dan.

40 Coupe    -- 06-26-2010 @ 8:04 AM
  I would use neither. I would go to the composite. placing different metals together in a tight position causes electrolysis and the soft metals migrate toward each other causing a corroding condition. The Mfg. of the heads should have a recommendation. I would use a nickle anti-seize on the body, not the threads, of the studs that may make it easier for removal later.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-26-2010 @ 9:31 AM
  If they are high compression aluminum heads, do not use copper,not strong enough for the higher compression,
also like 40 COUPE said,corrode easily,.
steel abestos might a way to go , stronger then copper
you have to remember when high compression heads were used, they were always taking the engine part, and did not have the corroding problem,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37 RAGTOPMAN
use the aluminum for show, I had ALUMINUM on my 37 and had water entering the oil, I had one NOS head and one mint that was checked and machined to be perfect and had this problem,. went to cast iron 35 years ago and have had no problems since,

danliveshere    -- 06-26-2010 @ 2:40 PM
  The heads are brand new cast this year and are exact duplicate of the 35 head with standard compression ratio. I've spoken to other Australian v8 club members who are using them and they are performing well. I just wanted to put it out there to find everybodies opinion as to the best gaskets to use as the car will be used alot as a wedding car, so needs to be ultra reliable. Dan.

ford38v8    -- 06-26-2010 @ 4:12 PM
  Dan, with regard to the use of your car for weddings, be aware that insurance companies will not cover your liability if you accept compensation for this use. You will need a special policy like that for a taxicab.

Alan

danliveshere    -- 06-27-2010 @ 3:13 AM
  Alan I'm in Australia and we have a whole lot of regulations and licenses and insurances red tape , as well as 3 levels of government all wanting to make things tough. Insurance sure is a big part I have to get on top of before I start. Dan.

This message was edited by danliveshere on 6-27-10 @ 3:13 AM

danliveshere    -- 06-27-2010 @ 3:34 AM
  Who sells the composite head gaskets? I can only seem to find copper and steel.Dan.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-27-2010 @ 8:09 AM
  if you use the steel you could use a spray headgasket sealer, I doubt you will have any problems with corroding, you will always have some issues,just use a good grade of coolant antifeeze or water and water pump lube and use distilled water, there is no minerals in distilled water, and will not corrode like regular water,
I use a dehumidifer and use the water from there,this is a way of distilling ,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN KEEP ON TRUCKIN,,,!!!!!

supereal    -- 06-27-2010 @ 10:02 AM
  Joblot has the composite gaskets for your '35. Order 40-6051, about $26.95 each. 800/221-0172. Be sure that your aluminum heads have a true and clean gasket surface. As you say they are new, I assume they are OK. We always surface old aluminum heads many of the new ones, just to be sure. I'd put some anti-sieze compound on the suds before you install the heads. It will make taking them off in the future much easier.

dso72    -- 06-28-2010 @ 11:45 AM
  danliveshere, could you post the company who sells the heads. Do the heads have the correct part number and Ford script. Do you have a picture or a web site?
Thanks for the info.

danliveshere    -- 06-29-2010 @ 5:09 AM
  Dso72, the heads are bare with no part#. I've just taken a photo front and reverse and will post pictures in the next couple days. Will send contact details also of the manufacturer. He also has cast new water pumps to suit the early motor with modern bearings/seals. and from what I've heard from other users they are happy with the new pumps as their motors are running cooler. I will be away from home for the next 2 months so will not get a chance to do any assembly till then but will have my computer to check in on the forum, regards Dan, Australia.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1464