Topic: Windshield Wiper Motor 36 Ford Install

Mr Rogers    -- 02-19-2021 @ 3:42 PM
  Before I begin removing the upper panel how much of the inner windshield surround do I need to remove? The drivers and passenger only before the upper panel?
Restoration in process to install an electric motor. Also open to suggestions on where to install a hot wire close to the resister/fuse. I'll install an on/off switch on the dash.
The picture shows the radio speaker opening and rear view mirror.

1934 Ford    -- 02-23-2021 @ 2:24 PM
  Mr. Rogers,
I still use vccume wiper on my 34's. The vacume line runs up the inside of the drivers side windshield post on my 34's, I assume that is the path to take for your wire. On all the early Ford V8's the radio speaker was under the dash above the steering column. Good luck.

1934 Ford's since 1972

wmsteed    -- 02-25-2021 @ 8:38 AM
  1934 Ford is mistaken about the location of original EFV8 radio speakers.
In '35-36-37 the common location for the Ford Philco speaker in a closed car is in the overhead, early cars had a housing that bolted on the outside of the header panel. In late '35 and the majority of 1936 the speakers were concealed behind the panel, covered with upholstery.
Why do you want an electric wiper? A good vacuum wiper will work just as well and you can retain the stock wiper arm.
In order to get at the wiper motor, you will have to remove the entire header panel...
My '36 has dual wipers, running off of a single motor on the left side with an external slave shaft operating the right wiper which makes the wiper work in unison.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 2-25-21 @ 8:40 AM

wmsteed    -- 02-25-2021 @ 8:54 AM
  Mr Rogers, Be very careful adding electric accessories to your Ford, especially if it is still 6v. Do not use the ignition switch circuit as a source of power, the Ford switches were never intended to carry a lot of accessories, heater, radio, etc.
If the car has been converted to 12v and you are still using the original ignition switch, the same problem applies. Power the wiper through a relay that is controlled by a switch getting power from the battery via a fused dedicated circuit.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kubes40    -- 02-25-2021 @ 9:01 AM
  I'm with Bill. Have your motor properly rebuilt and it will perform quite adequately.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

JayChicago    -- 02-26-2021 @ 10:16 AM
  And how often do we actually need the wiper on our cars? In five years, I got caught in the rain once. When I wash the car I cycle the wiper to verify operation, and to prevent it from getting stuck from non-use.

Do the same with the electric wipers on my '58 Chevy. Last year found it would not operate on the low speed. Corrosion/sticky internal relay, probably due to long storage with little use. So, electric wipers are not necessarily problem free.

Mr Rogers    -- 02-26-2021 @ 12:05 PM
  OK ...... good ideas. Hadn't thought about frequency of use.
Before I begin removing the upper panel how much of the inner windshield surround do I need to remove? The drivers and passenger only before the upper panel?

RAK402    -- 02-26-2021 @ 5:54 PM
  I have had one of the electric windshield wiper motors fail in my 1940 sedan. I am on my second one now-I will be going back to vacuum after the car is painted.

TomO    -- 02-27-2021 @ 7:35 AM
  I remove the wiper arms on my cars in the spring and drive around with the wiper motor going. This gets the lubricant in the motor spread around, so that the wipers work when I need them.

I also make sure to lubricate the pivot points in the mechanism.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-27-2021 @ 8:15 AM
  MR Rogers
vacuum wiper motor,
If you use the vacuum motors you will not have to modify anything,
if your worrying about the wipers stopping going up hill or on accelerating
you can add a vacuum storage tank. hidden under the dash, or else were,
using a one way vacuum valve and a tin can, does not have to real big,
the valves are the same as on power brake systems, or similar uses,
the tin can , can be just about any can that can be sealed up, and solder 2 pipes on it,,
hope this helps, my 2 cents.,37Ragtopman

wmsteed    -- 02-27-2021 @ 9:00 AM
  MR Rogers, As I recall, over forty years since i had a need to remove the header panel.. Remove the rear view mirror, left and right visors, left and right trim moldings, then the header panel is ready to be removed.
If you have an original Ford Philco radio with the speaker in the header panel this is a good time to send it out and have it re-conned, does wonders for the sound quality.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

JayChicago    -- 02-27-2021 @ 9:20 AM
  Winsted's removal procedure is what I did to remove the header panel on my '37. After the panel was off discovered visors did not need to be removed; they are only attached to the header panel so can ride with the header panel when it is removed.

1934 Ford    -- 02-27-2021 @ 4:16 PM
  Thanks, I stand corrected. Not to old to learn,

1934 Ford's since 1972

Mr Rogers    -- 02-27-2021 @ 5:04 PM
  Always a pleasure to hear from the experts. Lessens the pressure on my gray matter.
Thank you.

wmsteed    -- 02-28-2021 @ 11:04 AM
  I am not really an expert.. An expert is someone that comes from far away, and costs a lot of money.
I once read that "when a man dies, a library burns down" I am trying my best to clear some of the clutter out of my head before I cause a major fire.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 3-1-21 @ 8:07 AM

TomO    -- 03-01-2021 @ 10:09 AM
  Bill, the explanation of an "EXSPURT" is:

EX- a has been ( I qualify here, I has been here and there for many years)

Spurt -a drip under pressure (you can make up your own minds about this part)

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14623