Topic: 1947 Ford temperature gauge reaction

jamesmundstock    -- 02-15-2021 @ 1:44 PM
  I have switched my car to 12 volt negative ground and installed a voltage reducer to the gauge power side and the sending unit wire going to the original terminal. When I turn the ignition switch on, the gauge has the needle on H. This car has a brand new Rhode Island wiring harness. I think the needle should be on the C when I turn the switch to on. I guess I’m asking is how should the gauge react when the switch is turned on and do I need to change the power wire and sending unit wire to opposite terminals. I thought I purchased 12 volt sending units but if they are 6 volt, would that cause the gauge needle to go to H?

sarahcecelia    -- 02-16-2021 @ 6:42 AM
  There is no such thing as a 6 volt reducer, they are all 12 volt. Did you get the one that Fifth Ave. Ford, Clay Center, Kansas City, Kansas sells? Google that source, and look at the one they sell; They work! They cost about $15 each,and you need them on (3) of your gauges. I had a 6volt car, that I converted to 12 volt;I used his voltage reducers, and no problems! Google his site and you can see them! Call Randy Rundle, a very nice, and knowledgeable guy,the owner of that place, and tallk with him! If I remember right, the only gauge that doesn't need one is the temp gauge? The other (3) need them. TALK TO RANDY!!!! 785-632-3450

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 2-16-21 @ 6:50 AM

trjford8    -- 02-16-2021 @ 7:46 AM
  When the ignition is in the off position the needle should be on H. When the ignition is turned on the needle should go to C if the car is cold. Only the gauge should use the reducer.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 2-16-21 @ 7:47 AM

51woodie    -- 02-16-2021 @ 8:10 AM
  Not sure about 12V conversion stuff, but on my '46 Coupe, the oil, temp and fuel, show LOW, HOT and EMPTY respectively, when the ignition is off. I believe Ford built them this way as "fail safe". If the connection or sender fails, the gauge goes to the "worst" condition.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14613