Topic: engine paint

Wolfie    -- 06-25-2010 @ 9:54 PM
  I want to paint my 40 engine the original green color. It is a running car so will probably brush paint it or is that a mistake? I don't want to dismantle too much but will take off the generator and I'm not sure what else. Who has done this and what are the challenges? Does anyone have a photo?
Thanks!

supereal    -- 06-26-2010 @ 11:26 AM
  The most common reason for failure of engine paint is not fully removing the coating of oil and dirt from the surface before applying the paint. Even "steam" cleaning" doesn't always do the job. With the engine in the vehicle, usually the best you can do is to wipe down the visible and accessible parts with an evaporating solvent, such as carb or brake cleaner. Use a "rattle" aerosol paint of good quality, such as Eastwood, and mask anything that you don't want to paint. Follow the directions on the paint container, particularly regarding recoating times. It will never match painting on an engine stand, but can do a passable job if you don't rush it.

Johns46coupe    -- 06-26-2010 @ 11:47 AM
  Wolfie, I painted the engine on my car with rattle cans as Super suggests. After I Gunked it, I removed all of the "easy stuff" (carb, coil, fuel pump and stand, distributor, generator and fan, plug wires but left the plugs in). I used a wire brush on a drill and cleaned the engine as best I could, then wiped it down with a degreaser. After masking I primed with Plasticoat engine primer and finished with three coats of Plasticoat enamel. Obviously I masked off the firewall, frame and inner fenders, etc. It really turned out well. I used the opportunity to paint the air cleaner and other appropriate parts.

John

Wolfie    -- 06-26-2010 @ 3:44 PM
  Thanks Super and John. I know that cleaning off the grease and oil will be critical. You both recommend that I use a rattle can. I had been wanting to brush it so that I didn't have to dismantle very much. I guess there is no short cut, so I'll probably spray it. I would still like to see a photograph of a finished engine. Anyone have one of a 40?

deluxe40    -- 06-26-2010 @ 4:40 PM
  I brush painted a couple of engines using Bill Hirsch engine enamel and I was quite happy with the results. One was '40 Ford Green and the other was '50 Ford Bronze. The paint covered quite well and was very shiny when finished. It's not inexpensive ($34/qt) but it goes a long way and it seems to have an excellent shelf life. I would do it again.

40guy    -- 06-26-2010 @ 6:56 PM
  I would recommend a foam brush instead of bristles for an even better job.

CharlieStephens    -- 06-27-2010 @ 7:39 PM
  I prefer a brush.

Charlie Stephens

TomO    -- 06-28-2010 @ 12:15 PM
  If you want to brush it on, Hirsch paint is the best and easiest to use. It flows out nicely if you use a foam brush. Be sure to mask the head nuts and other plated hardware.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1461