Topic: 1953 Ford-O-Matic

pauls39coupe    -- 02-11-2021 @ 7:01 PM
  We just started a 1953 Convertible barn find which had been parked since 1965. A valve job, new points , wires and a carb kit and the engine started. We ran it several times for 30 seconds to one minute. Each time it puked ATF out the transmission dipstick. The transmission was in neutral or park, we did not put it in gear.
Any ideas from you Ford-O-Matic experts?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-12-2021 @ 6:26 AM

hi
what was the level on the dipstick before your started the engine, ?
I think the torque converter drained back into the trans over filling it,
it sat for a number of years, things happen
these older auto trans are a lot different then what we have today,
I would let the engine run and get up to operating temp.
and monitor the level in the trans, to see what happens,
it might cure itself,
try it in gear, with rear wheel off the ground ,and see if it shifts
let us know how you make out,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

pauls39coupe    -- 02-12-2021 @ 6:59 AM
  The trans fluid level was a bit high on the dipstick before starting. I suspect the fluid drained back from the coupler after 65 years. Usually these transmissions were checked hot and running. The Motors Manual suggests it may have had a plugged vent, but did not explain where the vent was located.
We were not able to run the engine very long because the radiator was removed. I would like to try running the engine longer to see if that would help, maybe next week. It is COLD in Michigan!
I agree with you. It may just take some time to pump the fluid back into the torque converter. I just wondered if anyone had any other ideas.
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how things turn out.

trjford8    -- 02-12-2021 @ 9:04 AM
  Generally the vent for automatic transmissions is on the side of the trans. near the top of the main case.

pauls39coupe    -- 02-13-2021 @ 12:31 PM
  Thanks Triford and Ragtopman. I'll let you knowwhat happens when we work on it next.
Paul

pauls39coupe    -- 03-04-2021 @ 6:09 PM
  It finally warmed up in Michigan, at least for a day. We added coolant to the engine and were able to run it for a few minutes at a time.
The transmission vent is on the top right hand side of the Ford-o-Matic. It is mushroom shaped and looks like a rear axle vent. We cleaned the vent and it stopped puking ATF every time we shut the engine off.
The fluid was 5 qts. low. Once the torque converter was filled, the transmission worked in drive and reverse. The car was on jack stands, so I cannot tell if it shifted properly, but we'll test that when the brakes are fixed. The owner was very happy.
So far so good on a "parts car" the owner thought was too good to scr*p out, and not bad for a car that was last driven in 1965.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Paul

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14605