Topic: number on bell housing

46fordnut    -- 10-15-2009 @ 11:25 AM
  i was cleaning my engine and i found some numbers on top of the trans this is what i think they are g 6 or 9 then a third looks like an 8. could you tell me something about these? last number maybe wrong just maybe grime .

deluxe40    -- 10-15-2009 @ 12:30 PM
  If you are looking at the top of the bell housing on the engine (rather
than at the transmission) you should see a rather large "59". This
indicates that your engine was made for a '46 to '48 Ford.

There is also a number on the transmission (above the inspection hole
cover) that should be the serial (VIN) number of the car that was
originally delivered with that transmission. If your car has not had the
transmission replaced the number should match the number at the
front left corner of the frame. If you do some more cleaning, you will
probably find that the transmission number starts and ends with a star
and that it is nine or ten digits long.

This message was edited by deluxe40 on 10-15-09 @ 12:35 PM

46fordnut    -- 10-15-2009 @ 12:47 PM
  yes on the top of the bell housing . found a g and a 9 or a 6 depends on witch way you look at it . if you look from the front its a 6 and what looks like an 8. but i do see the large 59 you said. the numbers im talking about are closer to the engine right behind the fuel pump and oil filler.

47Fordor    -- 10-16-2009 @ 3:23 PM
  The number that you are referring to is the casting number. Right side up should be looking from the trasmission (same orientation as the "59"). It is actually a code for when the engine block was cast but the general consensus is that the translation died off with the foundry workers.

My '47 has H4722 so I've guessed that it was cast August (H=8th month) 22, 1947. The theory worked, since the heater in my car is listed in the '41-'48 Ford Book as being an obtion starting in October of that year. Of course, if your engine is out of a '46 (just guessing: "46fordnut"), then my theory is shot to heck; since g98 doesn't even have the right number of digits.

Chris

47Fordor    -- 10-16-2009 @ 3:24 PM
  The number that you are referring to is the casting number. Right side up should be looking from the trasmission (same orientation as the "59"). It is actually a code for when the engine block was cast but the general consensus is that the translation died off with the foundry workers.

My '47 has H4722 so I've guessed that it was cast August (H=8th month) 22, 1947. The theory worked, since the heater in my car is listed in the '41-'48 Ford Book as being an obtion starting in October of that year. Of course, if your engine is out of a '46 (just guessing: "46fordnut"), then my theory is shot to heck; since g98 doesn't even have the right number of digits.

Chris

46fordnut    -- 10-16-2009 @ 4:58 PM
  no, you maybe right i did not finsh cleaning yet i may find more numbers . once the rain stops in jersey i can keep cleaning and try to find more.

47Fordor    -- 10-17-2009 @ 5:04 AM
  Oops, is there an echo in here?? I just noticed my last post(s). Must have entered that before my second cup of coffee: shaking finger pusing the "Submit Reply" button LOL.

Chris

47Fordor    -- 10-17-2009 @ 5:04 AM
  Oops, is there an echo in here?? I just noticed my last post(s). Must have entered that before my second cup of coffee: shaking finger pusing the "Submit Reply" button LOL.

Chris

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=146