Topic: 1947 Passenger turn signal switch

jamesmundstock    -- 02-07-2021 @ 12:51 PM
  I am looking for a Ford script reproduction turn signal switch that clamps on the steering column. My car has one but it was a universal type. I know it was an option in 1947 but I am having a difficult time trying to find a good quality reproduction. My new Rhode island wiring harness is wired for a turn signal. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TomO    -- 02-08-2021 @ 8:07 AM
  I don't remember seeing a reproduction of that turn signal switch, I have seen just the aftermarket switches.

Did you check with the 46-48 Ford Advisor to see if the switch was Ford script and if he has a photo or drawing of one that would help you find an original one?

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 02-08-2021 @ 3:31 PM
  James, I don't see an optional turn signal switch listed in the '46 thru '48 accessory catalog. Are you sure it was offered? You might have seen an aftermarket switch that had a Ford logo, but was also available with Chevy, Chrysler, etc logos.

trjford8    -- 02-09-2021 @ 6:28 AM
  The early Mercurys had turn signals in the column, but I believe the column is shaped differently.

51woodie    -- 02-09-2021 @ 7:53 AM
  Page A-9 of the 1941-48 EFV8 Ford book lists turn signals as an option from 1947 to 1948 on Deluxe and Super Deluxe models. Under the NOTES section, the kit became available in early 1947. Note 11 also states, the EFV8 Club judging rules will allow acceptably fitted turn signals on all models, as a safety precaution.

TomO    -- 02-09-2021 @ 8:04 AM
  The Mercury column is longer than the Ford column and has the cut out for the tun signal switch handle. I think that you would have to use the Mercury steering wheel and cut off 4" from the tube. Then comes the hard part, finding Mercury turn signal parts.

The Ford accessory turn signal mounted to the column like the aftermarket types.

Tom

1942deluxe    -- 02-12-2021 @ 9:35 AM
  There was a NOS Ford kit on Ebay awhile back.

49inthefastlane    -- 03-08-2021 @ 2:14 PM
  I have a used Ford switch from a 49 . Mounts on the column. Needs a new handle and rewire. Initials FMCO and Part Number SXTS-B. I don't know if it would be correct for your car. dogbanner@gmail.com

cknudsen7    -- 03-21-2021 @ 3:37 PM
  I was fortunate to find a fomoco turn signal witch on Ebay many years ago for my 47 Ford coupe. It does not have the Ford script on it nor any other Ford symbol. These are very rare. I don't know why there aren't any pictures of it in any of the Ford pubs. I have attached a photo of mine.

supereal    -- 04-17-2021 @ 10:23 AM
  The turn signal control in my '47 came with the car when I bought it 25 years ago. The cancellation is done by a small wheel that runs on the bottom of the steering wheel hub. It was not marked as a "genuine Ford" accessory, but was commonly sold by such places as "Western Auto" and other vendors. Using the parking lights and stop lights as the indicators is hardly visible in daylight due to the size of the lights. After I was rear ended a few year ago, I installed a LED light bar atop my rear license plate so it wouldn't happen again.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14588