Topic: dashboard removal

leazer 48    -- 02-05-2021 @ 10:45 AM
  I need to remove my 48 coupe dashboard to have access to some loose screws holding the speedo/trim panel( mine is chrome), access to them is impossible, is there a right way to do this, I don't want mess anything up in the process.
thanks all

wmsteed    -- 02-05-2021 @ 11:55 AM
  Removing the dash in a running vehicle is very labor intensive. I would suggest that you disconnect the instruments from the dash, leaving them attached to the wires, etc. Remove the radio and detach the steering column drop from the dash. You will also have to remove the windshield molding which might involve the visors.
Bag and identify all of the screws/fasteners, do not assume that you can buy new ones.. Many of the screws/nut will be hard to remove, make sure you have good screw drivers that fit the screw heads perfectly. A small 1/4" socket set might come in handy. Lowes has a nice set in a small plastic container.
Harbor freight has a nice set of screw drivers call Hammer Head, they are generally blue with hardened tips. One of the tricks I use to remove old screws is to put the correct size screw driver into the screw head, then strike the head of the screw driver a couple time with a small ballpene hammer, using it as an impact tool.. Really helps to loosen old screws.
I recently removed the dash from a '37 GMC, got everything apart without breaking/stripping any fasteners.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 2-5-21 @ 12:01 PM

woodiewagon46    -- 02-05-2021 @ 12:00 PM
  As wmsteed points out, removing a dashboard from a '48 Ford is quite a job. If it's access to the back you require I would rather remove the front seat to give you more room to work. I know it's tedious with the steering column and heater in the way but just disturbing all the old wiring gives me nightmares.

wmsteed    -- 02-06-2021 @ 10:50 AM
  Amen, I would rethink the removal of the dash to tighten a couple screws.. A good 'headlight' to free up your hands plus the right tools could work wonders to simplify the task.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

leazer 48    -- 02-06-2021 @ 2:05 PM
  thank you all for your tips, I just have to make a plan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14581