Topic: Spare Tire Lock

flatfoot    -- 02-02-2021 @ 4:03 PM
  Well, I've done it again! I lost my key to the spare tire lock. Took it to a locksmith but no luck with removing it or making a key. And, yes, I need to change the tire and wheel. Anyone have any ideas how to get the wheel off the spare tire lock. Frustration, but it's the ole one step forward two steps back.

The vehicle in question is a '36 Ford 4dr deluxe touring sedan.

pinnsky    -- 02-02-2021 @ 5:31 PM
  Do you mean the spare is still mounted on the rear of the car?

wmsteed    -- 02-05-2021 @ 12:18 PM
  I assume that your '36 has a tire cover with a lock under the Ford center.. If you have lost the key and cannot find a REAL LOCKSMITH I would suggest you drill into the key way with a small hardened drill bit, working it back and forth to cut the brass pins, then insert a screw driver into the lock and turn the lock cylinder, don't force it, drill a little bit more.
After you get the lock drilled out and the lock housing removed you can purchase a new lock cylinder to repair the lock. The lock cylinder is a disposable item, the lock assembly is not.
I watched a locksmith drill out an ignition lock once, now I do them myself.. A Dremel tool works good for this job. The Dremel tool has some nice hardened cutter bits.

Footnote!
The lock body is a very large heavy piece of metal that has an ear that extends/re-tracts when locked/unlocked. There might be tension on the locking lugs, a little downward pressure might help to retract the locking lugs once the lock is drilled out.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 2-5-21 @ 12:26 PM

wmsteed    -- 02-06-2021 @ 10:42 AM
  Flatfoot,
Attached you will find a pix of a '36 Ford tire mount with the tire/wheel removed. The raised center portion of the mount is the area where the lock engages with the mount.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kiwi al    -- 02-14-2021 @ 4:37 PM

This message was edited by kiwi al on 2-14-21 @ 6:12 PM

kubes40    -- 02-15-2021 @ 6:48 AM
  I'm with Bill. You need to find a "real" locksmith.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

flatfoot    -- 02-27-2021 @ 3:57 PM
  I got it finished. Works great. Thanks for all your inpuit.

Steve Kennedy    -- 02-28-2021 @ 7:44 AM
  You said you got it finished. Are you talking about the spare tire lock? If so, how did you do it?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14570