Topic: Closing the hood on a 49,50, 51, car

sarahcecelia    -- 02-02-2021 @ 4:40 AM
  I know there are a lot of people on this site that have those models listed. That being said, will someone tell me how they close their hood?

I tried just laying mine down, and then pushing on it, and it wouldn't latch!

I'm thinking that the hood has to be "dropped" the last 15 or 20 inches, so that strong return spring,(on that latch that the release cable is attached to), moves over to the driver side to make it "Latch", but I'm a little scared to do that for fear of damaging the hood; or something else.

"WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE REPLY???"

Regards, Steve Lee

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-02-2021 @ 7:28 AM
  hi Steve
is there a adjustment on the hood pin, you might have to lengthen it a little, [ there might be a lock nut on the other side of the bracket that is on the hood ]
to get the hood to close easier.
I had a 51 BACK IN 1964 and never had a problem with a hood,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

51woodie    -- 02-02-2021 @ 7:47 AM
  Steve. To quote the 1949-50-51 manual, page 234, it says:

LOCK DOWEL ADJUSTMENT.
Loosen the locknut at the top of the dowel. Turn the dowel with a screwdriver until the proper fit is obtained.
If the front of the hood fits too tight or requires slamming to lock the hood, turn the dowel outward.
If the hood has excessive clearance or is loose on the dowel, turn the dowel inward.
Tighten the locknut after making the adjustments.

TomO    -- 02-02-2021 @ 7:52 AM
  The hood should latch by pressing down on it. You should not have to slam it.

Check to see that the dowel is centered in the latch. I don't know how to make that adjustment on a Ford, but I am assuming that you could move the latch plate or like the Mercury, move the dowel mount to accomplish this.

If you have to slam it to get it to latch, extend the dowel until it will latch by pressing down on it.

If that doesn't work, you need to take a careful look at the latching mechanism and determine what is causing the problem.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 02-02-2021 @ 11:54 AM
  Yeah, I had one in 1955, and one in 2002, and now this one since 2016.
I think the adjustment is right, it was about 3 1/8 inches long, and I made it 3 1/4 inces. It closed the day that I put the new hood cable in; next day-no!! Do you think that the way I always closed it was by dropping it the last foot or so?? I'm "thinking" that was the way I always closed them??Some guy that has one could tell me; but???? No one that has one will reply.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 02-02-2021 @ 12:31 PM
  I checked the alignment of the dowel- looks good ( hard to see in there when you have the hood down enough to see it.) I said in a previous thread; it will latch, if I move that little piece with the tiny pointed screw in it, up the cable enough to hold the latching part on the panel above the grill, so it holds the latch about halfway open. If the latch is on the cable so that that latch is in it's normal position, it won't! I tried putting the hood down so the dowel is just resting on the latch, and pushed down real hard, and It wouldn't latch! That spring on the latch (that the cable pulls to open the hood), is just too strong to make the latch open and receive the dowl!!. I never had a problem with this hood, it always worked well, until I put the new "open hood" cable in.The day I put it in, I opened and closed the hood several times to see if all was good,and it was. the next day, opened the hood to check the oil, and had "Hood latch" trouble! And EVERY PART IS lubricated with GREASE!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 02-02-2021 @ 12:35 PM
  The dowel mount won't move, but the dowel is threaded and can move up / down; and has a locknut at the top of it.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 02-02-2021 @ 3:10 PM
  Thank you ., I know all about the adjustment of the dowel; but that wasn't the problem. I fixed it today!HOORAH!! I'm going write a reply to TOM -O about what I learned about that hood latch mechanism, sand you and all should read it and learn what I learned. One thing that I alredy knew was, that dowel shouls be turned out(lenghtened0 just enough so when it's latched, you push down on the hood and feel just a slight bit of play. That insures the it is full latched!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 02-02-2021 @ 3:45 PM
  TOM O:
I fixed it today. Here's what I learned. The latch should be open to the midpoint.(If you feel the movement of it , it has a spot at the halfway point where you feel a slight "stop" factory, that either had lube on it, or was worn, allowing it to move all the way to the passenger side, and it shouldn't!!) I blocked it at that 1/2 way point, loosened the screw in the stop ferrule on the cable, moved it up the cable, as far as it would go (about 1/4 to 3/8 inch ),and tightened the screw in the ferrule. Then I closed the hood by putting it down gently, and gave it a little downward push,and it latched! Then I pulled the "OPEN HOOD" handle, and it "popped" open;Then I didn't lift it, just gave it a little downward push; and it latched again!! Did that 4 times, and it worked every time!!!HOORAH!!!; SUCCESS! Now I'm the "Hood Latch Expert?"

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 02-02-2021 @ 3:47 PM
  Thank you all for your help with my hood Latch problem!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-02-2021 @ 4:01 PM
  HI Steve
that latch problem could have been the cause of the cable breaking. by pulling too hard
now it is smooth and working properly
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 2-5-21 @ 8:56 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 02-03-2021 @ 7:03 PM
  Tom,
Please read my thread of 2/2/2021. It tells all about what the problem was, what I learned, and how I fixed it!You were right about just "laying it down" an then pushing on the hood to latch it;
it does that now and works like a new !!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 02-03-2021 @ 7:10 PM
  The lock nut is visible at the top of the dowel.
It's inside the spring, (at the top of the dowel), that makes the hood "POP "open when you pull the "HOOD OPEN" handle.

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14565