Topic: Hood Latching Problems

sarahcecelia    -- 01-30-2021 @ 3:33 PM
  I installed my new cable and then checked ito see if the hood opened it 3-4 times; GOOD! The next day I had a problem opening the hood; "A Hiccup?" I messed with it for about 2 hours, trying adjusting the length of the part on the hood, and finding that today it only opened properly when the stop on the cable was re-adjusted to hold the latch on the panel about half way toward open? When it is where it is supposed to be (the latch that the cable pulls) all the way toward the passenger side) the threaded rod with the "bullet" on it , seems to strike the latch part "dead center", but it won't move the latch to the driver side to latch the hood!!"do I have to "Drop the Hood" that last foot or so to make that happen?" I am kind'a afraid to damage it doing that.I pushed it down, but that didn't latch it.Yes, every part is greased , top bottom and sides! It has got me really baffled; "You just replace the cable, put the little end with that tiny pointed screw to hold it up just against the latch where it will pull the mechanism to open the hood,and it works.; and the next day???"When you close the hood, Isn't the "bullet" supposed to move the latch on the panel toward the driver side, and then return to the pasenger side, (underneath the latch) to "latch" the hood closed? P. S. should I clean the tiny pointed screw, and the threads in the part it goes into with say, laquer thinner, and use Blue loctite on it? If not, "How tight should that screw be?? I'm real glad that I put a safety wire connected to the hood latch behind the driver side center grill bar- It got the hood opened several times today!!I've had this car about 3 yrs. and never had a problem with the hood latching! I think I used to "drop" it to make it latch??? Is that the proper procedure to latch it??It might be, because that latch spring on the panel is pretty strong!! Tom O, where are you??
Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 1-31-21 @ 8:35 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14557