Topic: 12 volt conversion

silverchief    -- 01-23-2021 @ 4:07 PM

Exactly how much is involved in converting a 55 Ford from 6 to 12 volt?

Thinking seriously of buying this car ( which is pristine) and all lights and guages work perfectly, but am concerned about things like, coil, generator, fuses, etc. It has no electrical powered accessories so don't know why he did it. Will it mean future headaches for me?

juergen    -- 01-24-2021 @ 5:13 AM
  Are you thinking the first owner converted from 12 to 6 volts? Ford was a year behind GM and went from 6 to 12 volts with the 1956 models. So if your car is 6 volts, then it is stock.

sarahcecelia    -- 01-24-2021 @ 5:24 AM
  Only silly people do that 12v conversion.I've had 3 or 4 old Fords that were 6v over the last 64 years,, and never had a problem with them! If everything ELECTRICAL is set up to "Factory Specifications" they start easy, run good, and everything works as it should when it was new from the factory!!It's a lot of WORK, MONEY, and TIME, to do a conversion, and the gain is very small, IF ANY. I now own, a 1940 Ford Deluxe Convertible, and a 1950 Crestliner- and have no problems with the 6 volt system!! They both start extremely easily, run like new, and all systems electrical work like they were supposed to when they were new!

Regards, Steve Lee

42wagon    -- 01-25-2021 @ 3:21 AM
  I am confused. Is the car six volts or twelve volts now. If six that is what it is supposed to be. My vote is to leave it alone. I have never had a problem running a stock car with a six volt system.

kirkstad    -- 01-25-2021 @ 7:37 AM
  My dad bought a used 55 ford mainline in 1960 that he used for many years and then in 1964, I took my drivers test in it. Yes the ford was only 5 years old when he got it, but in all those years he had it and then me using it, I don't remember any complaints about hard starting or dim lights.

TomO    -- 01-25-2021 @ 8:30 AM
  Bill,
If the conversion was done correctly, you should have no problems.

If your coil goes bad, you will have to buy the 1956 and later coil, which is readily available. The same goes for the starter, generator and heater motor. Fuses are generally rated for voltage up to 250 volts and blow when the current draw is too high. So you should have no problem replacing the current fuses with a same rating fuse.

To convert it back, you would have to change all of the bulbs, battery and grounding cables, starter, generator and heater motor.

The conversion may have left the 6 volt starter and heater motor, I would replace them with 56 or later motors, if you are going to leave it 12 volts.

The conversion may have left the 6 volt battery and grounding cables in place, but in bringing it back to original, I would replace them to make sure that the cables are the correct size and in good conditon.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14533