Topic: Windshield Trim - Welting (Part # 7003126)

mbidwell    -- 01-23-2021 @ 8:10 AM
  I'm working on a 1946 woody and have this stainless trim piece that has the welting material in it. The ends are bent and crimped, presumably to hold the welting in place. I've tried to pry one end open and bend it straight hoping that I will be able to slide the welting out. It's not going so well. So, before I completely destroy the trim piece, I wanted to ask if anyone has experience trying to restore this part? I've done some searching on the internet for a new part with the welting, but so far no luck. I'm not even sure if the welting material is available (pretty sure it's a different welt than the fender welting material, though I haven't compared it directly). So, any help on this would be great. Thanks!

I'm adding a few photos for reference.

42wagon    -- 01-23-2021 @ 11:34 AM
  That piece which fits along the inside of the windshield frame is only fabric on the 42 wagon. Since the only part that is exposed is the stainless steel bead why do you need to change the welting unless it is completely rotted?

mbidwell    -- 01-23-2021 @ 1:18 PM
  The welting isn't completely rotted, but I thought that by the time I did what I needed to do to polish up the stainless, it might be shredded. Might just be one of those it is what it is things.

trjford8    -- 01-23-2021 @ 3:41 PM
  Polish it by hand with Simichrome and you can control how it's handled. You can also use 0000 steel wool to remove any crud that has accumulated on it. Do not get it near a buffing wheel.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 1-23-21 @ 3:42 PM

mbidwell    -- 01-24-2021 @ 5:48 PM
  Thanks

woodiewagon46    -- 01-25-2021 @ 7:32 AM
  The material is what holds the stainless piece in place. As you probably know, it goes along the top edge of the dash. As you tighten the windshield trim screws they hold the stainless strip tightly between the dash and the trim. Be careful with the material, without the material there is nothing to hold the stainless in place.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14531