Topic: Empty carb?

Dustbowl    -- 01-22-2021 @ 2:28 PM
  If my 1936 Cabriolet sits for.more than a couple of days, I have to crank on the starter up to ten seconds or so before it starts. Then it runs very well and restarts instantly if I restart it the same or next day.
It seems obvious that the gasoline in the carb tank evaporates if the car sits a long time and the delay is the girl pump refilling the carb.
How can I prevent this evaporation or otherwise solve the problem?

ken ct.    -- 01-22-2021 @ 3:53 PM
  The gas in the bowl will NOT evaporate in 2 days,you have a leak someware possibly a leaking power valve. Smell your dipstick for gas in the oil. ken ct 1-203-260-9780 cell.

pauls39coupe    -- 01-22-2021 @ 3:55 PM
  More likely fuel is leaking out of the carb and into the engine.
If you have the later style Holley 94, the power valve is probably the problem. Many of the current rebuild kits use a power valve designed for the Holley 4 barrel. They have a ridge at the base which keeps them from sealing. The fuel drains from the float bowl into the vacuum side of the power valve chamber , then down into the engine. This makes for hard starting and excessive engine wear.
Contact Dennis Carpenter, Charlie Price, Ken ct. or one of the other rebuilders for correct parts.

This message was edited by pauls39coupe on 1-22-21 @ 3:56 PM

kubes40    -- 01-22-2021 @ 4:15 PM
  Dustbowl, You state more than two days. How many more? A week?
Even a properly set up flatty will allow the fuel in the carb. to evaporate after a week or so.
Before you start ripping anything apart, do check the dipstick for fuel smell as has been advised. If it doesn't smell like fuel, you probably don't have an issue.
When I shut my engine(s) off, I tend to close the choke thereby reducing much exposure from the atmosphere.
After a week or even two weeks, I can start the engine(s) within ten seconds or less.

Are you running the 97?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 01-22-2021 @ 5:57 PM
  Right" Kubes!"
I'm almost 84, and when I got my first '50 shoebox, (in 1955) I was told that the correct way to start the car,( the next morning after it sat all night) was to pull the choke all the way out, crank it, and when it started, to slowly push the choke in! It always Worked like a "Charm!"

And when I was away for week or so; I pulled the choke out (like Kubes does) and just let it sit. When I came back it started very easily, just like "kubes" said!
Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 1-22-21 @ 6:02 PM

ford38v8    -- 01-22-2021 @ 6:02 PM
  Dustbowl, as Kube has stated, a 10 second crank to start is not unusual for a cold start after a week, particularly as modern fuel evaporates quicker than in past years. For these cold starts, get in the habit of using the choke for the first few revolutions, which will help pull fuel from the pump, which may need that help initially. To repeat previous advice, check the dipstick for the odor of gasoline.

Alan

JayChicago    -- 01-23-2021 @ 9:02 AM
  Kube: "When I shut my engine(s) off, I tend to close the choke thereby reducing much exposure from the atmosphere."

I learn something new every day. Never thought of doing that. And so simple to do. Thanks!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14529