Topic: Hard Break Pedal and Breaks Draging

Briggs1    -- 01-16-2021 @ 3:14 PM
  The 39 brakes in my 36 Sedan Delivery were slightly dragging the other day but it went away so I thought it was just a stuck shoe at eventually released. Possibly when I backed up. But today it did it again but much worse. I noticed they were dragging again and just got worse as I drove to the point that the care overheated trying to overpower the breaks. The pedal was very hard and all four breaks were very hot. I had the car towed and when we off loaded it every thing was back to normal. Because the pedal was so hard and all the breaks were hot I am thinking it is a master cylinder issue. Anyone have any thoughts? Do I need to replace or rebuild the master cylinder or is it a problem at one or more wheels?

jims33    -- 01-16-2021 @ 3:32 PM
  It sounds like the master cylinder isn't retracting far enough to release pressure. Maybe just adjust the pedal travel to let it come back a little farther.

alanwoodieman    -- 01-16-2021 @ 4:53 PM
  times .2 on the mc needing adjustment, you need about and inch to inch and half free play, measured on the pedal itself, get under the car and adjust the pedal rod un till it just sort of rattles, and then pull down on pedal and see it it moves about the adjustment before the rod tightens up and eliminates the rattle or free play on the rod

sarahcecelia    -- 01-16-2021 @ 5:41 PM
  No "Free Play in the pedal" will do that! The pressure builds up because the piston in the master cylinder can 't return to release the pressure!! Adjust the rod, that the brake pedal moves the piston in the master cylinder to apply brakes, to about 1/4 " of freeplay!

That 1" or 1 and 1/2 " is for the clutch!; Not the brake pedal.The brakes need just enough to let the piston in the master cylinder to retun to "Neutral."

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 1-18-21 @ 7:52 PM

1937sedandelivery    -- 01-16-2021 @ 7:50 PM
  Yep, I had the same problem on my 37 Sedan Delivery. I had to pull off the road and "quickly" park. I came back the next day and the brakes weren't locked up anymore, so drove it home. After adjusting the MC rod, everything worked fine....lesson learned....
gregg

51504bat    -- 01-17-2021 @ 6:49 AM
  When I bought my '39 p/u the brakes locked up just like you describe. The PO had redone the brakes using an off shore M/C. I replaced it with a USA made Wagner and no more issues. Just a thought.

Briggs1    -- 01-17-2021 @ 3:42 PM
  Thanks. I will make the adjustment and let you know how it works.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14510