Topic: Used dress up parts

coilover    -- 01-16-2021 @ 12:57 AM
  I would like to do a budget "pretty" engine for a 32 hot rod roadster. Have a 50 8BA good running engine and a chance to buy an Edelbrock two carb intake and aluminum heads. The intake has issues but I have a tig machine, a mill, and a lathe so not concerned about the intake but am concerned on whether or how much heads may have been milled. Do not want something that won't run on pump gas so does anyone know the combustion chamber volume of an Edelbrock 8.5cr head? Thank you.

mfirth    -- 01-16-2021 @ 4:22 AM
  Hello, you should post this on "The Ford Barn" too. Lots of hotrod guys & the kind of info you are looking for. Good luck ! Neat project.

ford38v8    -- 01-16-2021 @ 4:25 AM
  Used aluminum heads are no bargain. Get some chrome acorn nuts and a pretty air cleaner for your good running 8BA and stay within your budget.

Alan

trjford8    -- 01-16-2021 @ 8:00 AM
  Used aluminum heads are usually eroded by electrolysis if they were on a car for any length of time. Yes they look good and make great "wall hangers", but if I was to put aluminum heads on a car I would spend the money for new ones. Buy them once new rather that twice used. Used heads are the reason we have swap meets and you see lots of them there.

wmsteed    -- 01-16-2021 @ 10:15 AM
  'Been there done that'.. When I was young and stupid, still stupid, just not young; I tried to resurrect a set of old Offie heads for my 59AB engine. The heads were badly corroded and warped. I had the heads resurfaced and put them back on my engine, the engine would only run on high test fuel, over heated and was a general pain in the backside.
The engine broke a piston so it was time to rebuild. The shop that rebuilt the engine specialized in engines for stock car racers, ie. engines that stayed together. A stock set of AB heads were machined to increase the compression to approx 8.5-1 and improvements to the flow of the combustion chamber was made.
That was over forty years ago, the engine still runs great. The engine compartment does not have the 'Bling' that most people want, but it gets the job done.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

51504bat    -- 01-17-2021 @ 6:58 AM
  Another option is a set of EAB heads. Better performance than 8ba or 8rt heads. If you want the bling look, use chrome acorn nut covers on the head bolts and manifold bolts as well. The ones I used on the EAB heads on my 8ba fit a bit loose but a little dab of silicone solved that issue.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14506