Topic: '36 Frame Question

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 01-15-2021 @ 6:11 AM
  I have a '36 Phaeton-recently acquired. In the process of installing a third brake light I noticed that there are two threaded bolt holes at the middle-rear of the frame, just behind the fuel tank. For the life of me I can't figure out what they were for. At first I thought they might for attaching the trunk rack (which I don't have), but after researching that it doesn't look like it would attach there. My only other working theory is that they might have something to do with a different body style... This is obviously not pressing, but curious if anyone has any thoughts. As an aside, I am planning to drop the third brake light on a bracket from this attachment. It will be under the car, and less visible, but the other options didn't seem ideal for the phaeton: rear window would interfere with top, middle read bumper area destroys the lines of the curved bumper.

Steve Kennedy    -- 01-15-2021 @ 7:12 AM
  Pictures would help

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 01-15-2021 @ 8:24 AM
  Yep. I agree. I took a few, but not sure how helpful they are, which is why I didn't originally include. They are about 6 inches apart maybe. Centered in the rear frame section. The photo showing both holes is looking from under the car back toward the bumper.

This message was edited by smithcandrew1036V8 on 1-15-21 @ 8:25 AM

Mr Rogers    -- 01-15-2021 @ 2:07 PM
  Trailer hitch? My Uncle George who worked at the Rouge Plant, told me way back when, that small travel trailers were used in the late 30's. I've never seen a picture thou.

Mr Rogers    -- 01-15-2021 @ 3:29 PM
  A suggestion on your additional stop light. Rather than permanently attach. Buy a magnetized red fixture and attach to the bumper when driving. Wired with a male/female plug.

smithcandrew1036V8    -- 01-15-2021 @ 3:44 PM
  I thought about that, but it doesn't seem like it would be strong enough for any substantive trailer hitch set up. Certainly in the right general location though...

wmsteed    -- 01-19-2021 @ 9:35 AM
  I can clearly recall a small teardrop shaped camping trailer that my father towed behind his '40 Chevy in '40-41..
The average trailer of the '30's/40's were very light, under 500 lb's, the hitch usually was bolted to the bumper only, however, quite often there was a re-enforcing bar attached to the backside of the bumper that had an optional bar that extended to the rear frame crossmember.
I recently purchased an unmolested, two owner, original '38 Buick 2dr sdn. There is evidence in the bumper chrome of a hitch being attached in the past, there is also what appears to be a re-enforcing bar on the back side of the bumper. The re-enforcing bar appears to be a well made factory item that fits the bumper perfectly.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 1-19-21 @ 9:39 AM

Mr Rogers    -- 01-19-2021 @ 12:21 PM
  After reading this post I checked my 36 4 Door delux. It also has the 2 holes in the frame. I had never looked at that underneath section.

trjford8    -- 01-19-2021 @ 2:15 PM
  You might contact Don Rogers who wrote the 35-36 Ford book with John Swanberg. Don is in the V-8 Roster in Missouri an he may be able to answer this question. You may be on to something regarding the trunk rack. The rack was a genuine Ford accessory and I "think" it had a center support.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 1-19-21 @ 2:25 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14500