Topic: 1947 Ford clock connection

jamesmundstock    -- 01-09-2021 @ 1:33 PM
  Below is a photo of the back of the clock and then the front. I am installing my new wiring harness and cannot figure what and where the connections go. The light socket is a no brainer. Where does the power hook up? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Mr Rogers    -- 01-09-2021 @ 5:51 PM
  My 48 was not electric.

51woodie    -- 01-10-2021 @ 7:18 AM
  James. I thought I had the answer, but my '46 clock is different than your '47. Hard to tell from the picture, but is the "post" that sticks up next to the light socket a possible connection point for a bullet connector? can you take the small cover that has the speed adjustment off?

jamesmundstock    -- 01-10-2021 @ 7:32 AM
  I think you are on to something. I found the cover last night and seeing your photo tells me I’m missing a couple more items. I’m going to remove the clock to further analyze. Thanks for the help.

51woodie    -- 01-10-2021 @ 11:29 AM
  My clock was made by the Geo. W Borg Co. in Chicago. The stamping also says to use a 3A fuse. My clock quit working, and had no continuity when checked with an ohmmeter. So I took its apart, and found the contacts that energize the winding coil/solenoid were dirty, and not making contact. Cleaned them, put a bit of clock oil on what I figured were critical rotating parts, and it runs great. It took me a week having it on the bench connected to 6V to set the speed so it keeps reasonably good time. Of course I'm retired, so a minute here or there is no biggie. Just as long as the old ticker keeps ticking.

supereal    -- 01-10-2021 @ 12:08 PM
  It is important to know that the electric wind clock can result in a dead battery if the vehicle is not frequently used. That is why I have a battery cutoff switch on my cars. The usual reason battery wind clocks stop running is due to the failure of the points to close when the spring tension decreases, or the very fine wire connected to the points falls apart. Some models of these clocks have an adjuster to regulate them. I have had them with the adjuster on the front and back. Most of these clocks are not precision instruments, so I just set them when I drive them.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14482