Topic: Turn Signal Lights on my 1950 Crestliner

sarahcecelia    -- 01-05-2021 @ 6:53 AM
  Why are my turn signal lights normal brightness with daylight, and a lot dimmer when parking lights or head lights are on?? Wierd???!!

P.S. I'm running a 6 volt system, with Original Ford turn signal switch and wiring, and the battery is good with enough voltage to start the car instantly! ( I keep a Battery Tender on it whenever It is not being driven to keep it fully charged.)

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 1-5-21 @ 6:54 AM

51woodie    -- 01-05-2021 @ 7:37 AM
  It's the old Ford syndrome Steve, but fortunately, not as bad as Lucasitis as in a British car. Check all your grounds and connectors that are part of the lighting supply and distribution circuits for good clean connections. Also, check for voltage drop along the circuit, starting from the battery with the lights on. I had to do that with my '46 Coupe, as I had a similar problem of poor light brightness. I put my digital meter on the battery, and checked voltage losses with my analog meter. The reason for the meter on the battery, was so I could keep an eye on the battery drain as I was testing. A bit lower on the battery = a bit lower at the test point. In hindsight, I could have put my charger on the battery to keep a constant voltage at the battery.

wmsteed    -- 01-05-2021 @ 10:28 AM
  I would suspect that the vehicle has a grounding problem. Most of the pre '64 vehicles did not come with "Bonded chassis", that being ground straps from the body to engine, and engine to the frame/chassis. The old style of ground strap was a flat braided affair with bolt eyelets on both ends.
Another problem is that many people do not understand 6v systems. By it's nature, 6v systems have very high resistance compared to 12v, therefore the 6v battery cables are always twice the size of 12v cables, a point that many people overlook.
Head lights and turn flashers draw a lot of amps, some times the best way to solve lighting problems is to use a relay in the lighting system, that way the lights get full voltage in lieu of loss through the switch and wiring loom.
When I converted the head lights on my '36 to sealed beams in 1952, I installed a relay for a GM car in the system, the lights are very bright.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

sarahcecelia    -- 01-05-2021 @ 5:45 PM
  I'm not familar with relays. What relay?-do you have the name of it or part number, and where can I obtain one, in case I need to go that route?
I know my car is supposed to have a little braided cable ( similar to the battery ground cable but a lot smaller, ( about 9 inches long, and about 1/4 inch wide, with eyelet ends) from the fire wall to the motor on the drivers side. I'll look under the hood it to see if there is one on my car.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 01-06-2021 @ 4:05 PM
  Bill,

where do I look for a ground strapfrom the body to the frame?

Thanks in adavance for your reply, or anybody elses!

Regards, Steve Lee

nelsb01    -- 01-07-2021 @ 5:34 AM
  You should also have a braided ground strap that goes from one of the back intake manifold bolts to the engine cowl.

sarahcecelia    -- 01-07-2021 @ 6:27 AM
  Thank you for your reply.

I know that, I'm going to take a "Look See" to see if it is there.

My other 1950 sedan had one, about 8-10 inches long, and about 1/4 " wide; but somehow I never looked, or noticed, one on this Crestliner.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 01-07-2021 @ 4:56 PM
  There is none there! Like you said, Carpenter Ford has them and in the A .M. I'm ordering one! The hole is in the firewall, and in the right spot!

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 1-9-21 @ 3:14 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 01-07-2021 @ 5:01 PM
  Bill,
Where can I get that relay, and what do I ask for to get the right one to work on my 6 volt system?

Regards, Steve Lee

Model B    -- 01-08-2021 @ 6:33 AM
  Steve, Check with Shoebox Central for your headlamp relay:

http://shoebox-central.com/1949-1950-1951-1952-1953-1954-1955-ford-6-volt-head-light-relay-brighter-lights

I have one on my '50...works great!

Good luck & Stay Safe,
Pat

sarahcecelia    -- 01-09-2021 @ 3:16 AM
  THANK YOU Pat!!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 01-09-2021 @ 3:27 AM
  On Shoe Box Central's web site It says "Includes instructions," ( does that mean how to hook up the (3) terminals on it ?)
It probably does; but I just want to make sure; because I've never installed one, and don't want to run into any SNAGS!

Regards, Steve Lee

51woodie    -- 01-09-2021 @ 6:03 AM
  Check out Fifth Avenue Garage. They sell 6 and 12V relays. This link will take you to the installation instructions.

http://fifthaveinternetgarage.com/pdf/6-12_Headlight_Relay_Install-3.pdf

JayChicago    -- 01-09-2021 @ 10:54 AM
  Relays are normally for the head lights. Nothing to do with turn signals.

Your dim turn signals sounds to me to be the classic poor ground condition. Good enough ground for running lights or turn signals, but not good enough for both. They share the same path to ground thru the shared light bulb and socket. Some of the light's current running to ground interferes with the turn signal's flow to ground.

I assume the battery ground strap on the '50 goes to the firewall as on earlier cars. That's the ground for the car's body, and all the light bulbs on the body. Lack of an engine ground strap should have no effect on the lights.

Do all the turn signals get dim or just certain ones? If all, I would check that main ground strap to the body. If certain ones, check there for clean/tight bulb-to-socket, and socket-to-body.

Model B    -- 01-10-2021 @ 7:35 AM
  Yes Steve, Includes instructions on how to install the terminals, which wires where etc.

Pat

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14469