Topic: Clutch chatter 1949 V8 Tudor

jim.martin    -- 01-05-2021 @ 5:20 AM
  I had a new clutch disk, pressure plate and throw out bearing replaced and the flywheel redressed. Since then I have chatter during initial engagement of the clutch in both 1st and reverse gears during both cold and warm startups. My mechanic insures me that he used a feeler gage to determine if all plate fingers were engaging correctly and that he cannot find anything loose (motor mounts, etc.). Any help to resolve this issue is very much appreciated.

1931 Flamingo    -- 01-05-2021 @ 5:51 AM
  Was the pilot bearing replaced?? Motor and trans mounts replaced??
Paul in CT

This message was edited by 1931 Flamingo on 1-5-21 @ 5:52 AM

TomO    -- 01-05-2021 @ 9:47 AM
  Did the shop test the flywheel for run-out of less than .005"? If they replaced the pilot bearing and checked runout, you may have a defective pressure plate or clutch disc. They will have to be removed to check for the cause.

Tom

kubes40    -- 01-05-2021 @ 10:11 AM
  I'm with Tom on this one. It will have to come out and carefully, piece by piece, thoroughly inspected.
This won't correct itself as it wears.
Before the flywheel is removed it MUST be checked for runout. Not all machine shops are created equal...
When I would grind a flywheel for myself, I'd set it on blocks that were against the mounting surface to the crankshaft. It took time (patience) to do it this way but in my opinion, there was no better way.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-5-21 @ 11:22 AM

jim.martin    -- 01-05-2021 @ 2:14 PM
  Thank you Kubes40, Flamingo and TomO for responding. The pilot bearing was replaced and the motor and transmission mounts were replace about 1,000 miles ago when I finished the car. I just checked, the mounting bolts are tight and the mounts are still intact. I'm not sure that the flywheel run-out was checked but will ask.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14468