Topic: What type of grease for King Pins on a 1940 Ford?

RAK402    -- 01-03-2021 @ 9:34 PM
  What type of grease for King Pins on a 1940 Ford?

I have brand new bushings and zirc fittings and should be assembling the front end on my car within a week or two.

sarahcecelia    -- 01-04-2021 @ 5:38 AM
  Any good chassis lube from any auto supply.You could lube it all as you assemble it too.

If you have a "Grease Gun, " The auto supply stores have the grease cartridges for it. (If they have it with "Water Proof Grease" I'd go for that.)

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 1-4-21 @ 5:40 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-04-2021 @ 10:41 AM
  HI
I use JOHN DEERE tractor grease, water proof grease., comes in the tube,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

kubes40    -- 01-04-2021 @ 12:17 PM
  Be certain to remove the weight of the car from the spindles when lubricating the spindle bushings / pins.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

RAK402    -- 01-05-2021 @ 8:56 PM
  Thank you all!

supereal    -- 01-11-2021 @ 12:58 PM
  I hope that your new king pin bushings were drilled to allow the grease in. For chassis parts, we use JT6 grease. It is waterproof, and also used for such applications as boat trailer wheel bearings that are subject to water immersion.

RAK402    -- 01-11-2021 @ 11:17 PM
  Supereal,

The new sleeves have holes in the for the grease to enter from the zirc fittings. I checked the zircs to make sure that grease would actually go through them before I mounted the spindles on the car. I made sure that there was grease in the sleeves as well before I re-assembled things.

Both spindles are now mounted, the re-built tie rod is installed, as is the un-re-built drag link (that will get replaced when I do the steering gearbox.

If I work all day tomorrow, I might get it all back together.

Once it gets a short test drive, I will re-orient it in the driveway so that I can get to the steering gearbox and rear shocks more easily (the rear shocks will be re-built next).

Thank you to everyone who provided answers/assistance!

This message was edited by RAK402 on 1-11-21 @ 11:18 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14463