Topic: Radial Tire Test Ride

sarahcecelia    -- 01-03-2021 @ 3:55 PM
  I guess I'm pretty lucky!

My friend Bruce has radials on his 1950 Ford coupe, and since I've given him a lot of advice, and helped him when he had problems with it, he's going to let me take the front wheels off his car, and put them on my Crestliner for a test ride, to see how the steering is with radials before I pay the big bucks for four of them..

I do know one thing ; and that is my car has a tendency to go to the right a little on a road with a crown in it, and that means that one side of the camber needs to be re-set to correct that tendency. When both sides are set to the same camber setting, any car will have a tendency to do that on a road with a crown ( for water drainage). I have the specs for both sides, and which side is set differently, (I think it is the left) and I can, and will do that!!

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 1-3-21 @ 3:59 PM

camsaure    -- 01-03-2021 @ 11:25 PM
  you need to test with radials on both front and back. It is not recommended to have radials on one end only.

sarahcecelia    -- 01-04-2021 @ 5:33 AM
  I don't think that is a problem for a (2 ) mile ride; is it??

Regards, Steve Lee

51woodie    -- 01-04-2021 @ 7:41 AM
  Radial and bias ply tires react differently to side loads, so it is not recommended to mix and match. If you want a true test, borrow both front and rears, then go for something more than two miles. Try smooth, winding and rough roads at varying speeds. Also nice if you can test on a windy day with gusting cross winds, at a nice cruising speed. JMO

JT Ford    -- 01-04-2021 @ 8:02 AM
  I don't know about using 2 wheel with radials but with four on the car you will notice a large improvement. I have two shoeboxs, one with radials one with without. The radials are much better. Last much longer also.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-04-2021 @ 8:38 AM
  warning
DO all four , it is VERY DANGEROUS , by just doing 2, I did this on a car years ago and it was very hard to control the car,
the car will be all over the road, on turns,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

Drbrown    -- 01-04-2021 @ 9:36 AM
  My '47 coupe has always had 15" Coker Classic radials on it so I wouldn't know difference. Car handles/rides nice. Power steering would be nice tho.

sarahcecelia    -- 01-07-2021 @ 6:30 AM
  Thank you; I've thought it over, and I'm going to do all (4) radials like you recommended!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14462