Topic: Help finding 46Ford dash plastic trim set

46DropTop    -- 01-03-2021 @ 4:49 AM
  I’m working on the interior of my 46 super deluxe convertible and I need to replace my plastic dash trim set. I’ve called Dennis Carpenter (oos), searched Mac’s, and eBay, etc etc and coming up empty. I’m looking for this piece in “gray-tan” color.

Please help.

This message was edited by 46DropTop on 1-3-21 @ 4:51 AM

therunwaybehind    -- 01-03-2021 @ 8:20 AM
  Those parts warped like the AMT and JoHann friction drive model cars of the 50's. They also got broken so I replaced mine in 1957 with one from a junk yard. Shade and a garage was the care they needed. J.C Whitney and Warshawsky in Chicago at the time sold chromed steel replacements. You might find one of those and paint it to match original. Then only the fading of the paint would be in question as you left your car outside. Any pictures I have now are of one or another of my 3D models. Could I release it to a vendor to AM print it? I think my model is not to tight enough tolerances to be a drop in. imaterialise is who does my 3Dprints in powder so no support is required. The result would be somewhat rough and only a sh*ll filled with powder, not solid in a plastic.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 1-3-21 @ 9:08 AM

TomO    -- 01-03-2021 @ 8:20 AM
  Third generation ford parts shows 1 in stock.

https://thirdgenauto.com/product/1946-48-ford-dash-trim-plastic-set/

Tom

46DropTop    -- 01-04-2021 @ 8:16 AM
  Thanks Tom, I called them but there number didn’t seem to be a working.

Lots of different site say they have them but the get their inventory from Dennis Carpenter and are completely out of them. I’ve ordered just based on the part number and found that it matches a gray-tan 46 dash knob set hahaha.

I’ve been striking out on this for over a year and it’s super frustrating. Surely someone on here has a dash trim set. Mine are in super rough shape (pictured).

woodiewagon46    -- 01-04-2021 @ 3:44 PM
  This has been a common topic on this and a couple of other antique car related sites lately. Once the stock is used up, the vendor, (in this case Dennis Carpenter and MAC'S) have to replenish their stock. When they order the part from their supply vendor they are told that there is a minimum order, say 24 pieces. If it's a slow moving part, then the vendor needs to team up with several other vendors and make the purchase. If one of the vendors hasn't sold that part in several months they might balk at the purchase. I fully understand that dead or slow moving parts cost money, just to sit on a shelf. I don't know what the answer is. I do know that restoring V-8 Fords and other antique cars is not as popular as it was in the past. Once we loose vendors like Bob Drake and Dennis Carpenter, it will make our hobby even harder and costlier. Just for the heck of it, I searched several popular Ford vendors and the dash plastic you are looking for is out of stock at every one of them. Good luck in your search and let us know how you make out, there must be a set for sale somewhere.

Mr Rogers    -- 01-04-2021 @ 4:44 PM
  I don't know the exact name ..... "3D something"? but a computerized machine duplicates a part. Maybe this is an up and coming method of making obsolete parts. There you go guys ....... a new business to get into. Probably spendy as a start up!!! Of course then there's ........ is the part metal or plastic?

RICKS2L    -- 01-05-2021 @ 6:24 AM
  C&G Ford in California shows 3 colors. 2 of them in stock

Pdstark    -- 01-05-2021 @ 6:05 PM
  Sacramento Vintage Ford appears to have them. Give them a call at 1-916-853-2244

Pdstark

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14459