Topic: setting tape material

fordmerc    -- 12-30-2020 @ 12:56 PM
  What is the material used for setting tape on the rear quarter windows? Is it cork, rubber, "plastic" or a combination material?

kubes40    -- 12-31-2020 @ 7:40 AM
  I'll bite... rear quarter windows in what?

In '39 / '40 glass setting tape was utilized. Drake sells it in two thicknesses.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 12-31-20 @ 7:41 AM

supereal    -- 01-05-2021 @ 1:44 PM
  C&G has four sizes of glass setting tape. To determine the right size, measure the with of the glass and the width of the channel in which the glass is to be placed. Subtract the results and divide by two. The available sizes are 1/32, 3/64, 1/16, and 5/64. C&G order number is 800/266-0470.

FirstRideRestorations    -- 03-11-2024 @ 11:02 AM
  I'm a little confused by this discussion in terms of the '39/40 quarter windows - what I found in taking out the quarter windows is what appears to be glass setting tape lining the window opening - what would be perpendicular to the glass. It seems to be there to take up the space between the window frame and the opening as an extra measure against wind noise / tighter fit, is this correct?

The quarter windows have a rubber seal and do not slip into the frame - the frame just presses the glass with seal against the opening - so there's no place for this tape to wrap around the glass to seal it in the frame, at these two locations.

kubes40    -- 03-11-2024 @ 1:57 PM
  FirstRide, Don't be confused. The original poster never told any of us what model, what year...
I shouldn't have responded without knowing more but assumed he meant the small quarter windows in a Fordor sedan.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

FirstRideRestorations    -- 03-11-2024 @ 2:05 PM
  I am working a on coupe, 1940. Does the tape lay in the qtr window opening of the car as I described? I can't be sure that what I found is original to the car due to so many years and so many missing items.

kubes40    -- 03-11-2024 @ 4:14 PM
  First ride... the rear quarter glass on your coupe had a rubber gasket originally. The seal was created when the molding was put in place.
These days, most glass is thinner than the original and requires some tape to make up the difference.
If no tape is added, the glass / seal will never "squish" as it was intended to do.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14450