Topic: Ball Joint connection / Pitman Arm to Tie Rods

sarahcecelia    -- 12-29-2020 @ 10:41 AM
  On my 1950 Ford Crestliner I have a little play in the steering wheel when it is on the floor. Today I jacked the car up, put wood blocks under the tires, and lowered the car onto the blocks to simulate it being on the floor, and give me room to crawl under to see where that play was.

.While my neighbor moved the steering wheel back and forth for me to see where that play was;( with me under the car;) I noticed the joint at the tie rods to the pitman are was moving right and left a little, causing that play. QUESTION- Is that joint made so it can't move at all? I know it has to swivel, when the wheels are turned left/right, but shouldn't the threaded part stay in the straight up position as it swivels when the wheels are moved left or right??

If it should not move left/right, and only swivel in it's base, the part is bad and needs to be replaced. I'm thinking that joint is bad. Does that mean I have to replace the entire center drag link?; or is there another fix??

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 12-29-20 @ 12:12 PM

kubes40    -- 12-29-2020 @ 11:34 AM
  Steve, You didn't mention what you're working on so no one can answer you definitively whether or not you must replace the entire drag link or simply the end. Many years had the end integral of the rod. Other years, the end was a separate piece.
As far as wear is concerned you are correct in your belief that the end should not have play left to right / right to left.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 12-29-2020 @ 12:12 PM
  Thanks Mike, I just edited it and started the article with," On my 1950 Ford Crestliner..."

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 12-29-20 @ 12:50 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 12-29-2020 @ 12:52 PM
  Now, "Kubes", can I replace just the joint, or do I have to replace the entire Center Drag Link??

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 12-29-20 @ 12:53 PM

kubes40    -- 12-29-2020 @ 1:19 PM
  Steve, Hopefully a guy with a lot more 1950 experience will weigh in here...
I believe by 1950 the ends were not integral of the drag link and thus, replaceable.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 12-29-20 @ 4:45 PM

TomO    -- 12-30-2020 @ 12:42 PM
  Steve, I could not tell which part had movement from your post. Here is the drawing from the Chassis parts catalog. Please indicate by P/N which part has movement.

If it is the tapered shaft that fits into the pitman arm, and the nut is tight, both the pitman arm and the steering arm should be replaced.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 12-30-20 @ 12:49 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 12-30-2020 @ 5:42 PM
  I very clearly stated the it was the joint at the end of the pitman arm to the tie rod.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 12-30-2020 @ 5:48 PM
  The pitman arm connection on part #3304, Center Drag Link) I fixed it already by replacing the part. Thank you any way!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14446