Topic: 1936 original shocks

Mike Denbar    -- 12-28-2020 @ 1:41 PM
  I do not find any rebuild kits for original shocks. If someone else rebuilds these, why can’t I? I have no idea what they are on the inside but have no problems taking anything apart. Anyone done this? Thanks. Mike Denbar

Mike Denbar

kubes40    -- 12-28-2020 @ 4:47 PM
  Mike,
You need special fixtures and tools. Please rest assured you are ahead by having someone like Andy do them for you.

I am a retired tool & die maker, have degrees in automotive repair, ran my own shop for ten years, served an apprenticeship in automotive machining...there's little I can't take part, repair and put back together.
My point? Even with my background, I would not even consider rebuilding these shocks.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Mike Denbar    -- 12-28-2020 @ 5:11 PM
  Mike, After alot of reading online I agree with you. I have just acquired our new baby and it is a total driver. I am going to convert to fluid tube shock absorbers. Any suggestions? Thanks. Mike

Mike Denbar

therunwaybehind    -- 12-29-2020 @ 8:54 AM
  A lot has happened in tubular shock absorbers like first appeared on the late 1947 and 1948 Fords. The major item of interest was nitrogen gas for what came to be called air over oil shocks that would not foam and fade. They also could with levers and bell cranks be laid down flat or even across the car or in line at the center. Dutch brand KONI and ... replaced Monroe and Columbus ... The lever types has fluids for Summer and Winter. I at some point put 60:40 Autolites made in Saline Michigan on the rear of my 1948 Ford when Ford Motor was forced to disgorge the Autolite brand and was forced to revert to Prestolite and Rotunda. (1964?)

camsaure    -- 12-29-2020 @ 6:09 PM
  do a search for the "Old Car Manual Project" They have a pretty complete copy of the service bulletins for the rebuilding of Houdaille shocks. There are several special tools needed. plus parts. Not to mention Ford used three different types of fluid, Glycerine, Oil base and Castor oil. Interesting read at least. most tools could be made yourself, but I would agree that while I love learning something new and doing it myself also, it most likely is not worth it for just one car. I would also recommend sending them out unless maybe you just have a minor leak on the earlier adjustable seal types where you may only need to tighten the seals a little bit. I also doubt the different types of fluid would be compatible with each other. These were good shocks and did last a long time. I do not think you would ever have to rebuild them any more then once in your lifetime. I would consider that before ever considering converting to modern tube type shocks.

1931 Flamingo    -- 12-30-2020 @ 5:50 AM
  Go over to FORD BARN, EV8 site. There's a fellow over there that rebuilds them. Highly recommended.
Paul in CT

His name escapes me, post your question, many will reply.

Mike Denbar    -- 12-30-2020 @ 9:16 AM
  Thanks for the input. I am trying to remove the original shock front left. Bolts to the chassis are removed. The nut holding the dog bone link to the pearch that goes through the wishbone and axle is off. But that bolt will not come out of the perch. Is it just jammed and need to be hammered out or is there a secret to remove it? Thanks to everyone. This is my first 1936

Mike Denbar

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-30-2020 @ 9:59 AM
  Mike Denbar
1936 shocks
you need to get a pickle fork to remove the link. these are pretty cheap and come in handy
it might ruin the link,
but new links are available ,
I would have the original FORD shocks rebuilt so car keeps it value
you will only have to do it once,
putting tube shocks involve more work, in the rear for sure, adding other brackets
my 2 cents 37 Ragtopman

Mike Denbar    -- 12-30-2020 @ 12:27 PM
  Thanks for the reply. I figured it out that the bolt is tapered. Both are out. Having originals rebuilt. Seems that unless you want to rod the car there are too many problems. Originals will see me through the end of my driving days. These forums are great. I do fire engines and the one I have been doing is a one off. So totally on my own and I make parts because nothing is available. Nice to have more experience to talk to. If you need help with your fire engine, holler. Mike

Mike Denbar

kirkstad    -- 12-30-2020 @ 5:09 PM
  Hi Mike. I had my original shocks rebuilt by Andrew Falandes in Charlemont, Ma and I am very happy with them. They have made a big improvement in my 36's handling and ride. Nice 36 by the way, almost identical to mine in color and trim, mine is a driver also. Frank

Mike Denbar    -- 12-31-2020 @ 7:51 AM
  Happy New Year. Thanks

Mike Denbar

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14445