Topic: Dual Exhaust & Mufflers

42Flattman    -- 12-24-2020 @ 11:27 AM
  Merry Christmas y'all !

'42 stock 59A.....I am looking at putting on a pair of Brockman Mellowtone 12" body/18" overall x 2" mufflers and am looking for some feedback from anyone who might be running these and how they like them, or maybe not so much ? I have considered running straight pipes but ????

Anyway, curious to see what your thoughts are.

Thanks in advance

John

carcrazy    -- 12-24-2020 @ 12:31 PM
  I don't have any experience with the mufflers you suggest but I have used Smithy's mufflers with good results. The ones that will probably be the easiest to install are the ones with the 22" case length, 2" inlet and outlet, and 3 1/2" case diameter. They are available from many vendors.

fenbach    -- 12-24-2020 @ 3:59 PM
  i bought these [glass-packs] from mac vanpelt years ago and do like them.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_speed-mufflers.htm

FordFreak    -- 12-25-2020 @ 7:21 AM
  John - I tried straight pipes on my '37 coupe w/stock flatty . A little too loud & there was no tone - just a bark .
Next , I tried the 12" body Brockman Mellotone glasspacks . There was nothing "mellowtone" about them , once again just a way too loud for me & obnoxious bark ! I ended up w/Magnaflow glasspacks from Pep Boys . These have a 18"body .
They sound great . Nice deep tone , and not too loud . I have Smithys on my stock '52 F1 . Just a little louder than stock , but ok for an old farm truck ! That is my experience w/mufflers on flatheads , so far . Merry Christmas ! - Bernie

therunwaybehind    -- 12-25-2020 @ 2:03 PM
  Two inch outlet is too big for a stock tail pipe. I only make this comment for anyone with a souped up flathead as In my day one sought a "sleeper" look which was like a Q-ship to a German submarine. Everything stock in appearance and maybe for the snoopers a six cylinder emblem for the front. When you go to pass the Cadillac convertible and he rudely floors it to block you.. you can go to "loud pedal" like a pianist. No need to risk an unsafe pass or a need to duck in behind what is blind to you. I had a simple turndown on the other pipe to hide under the car. OK for bigger have you considered Corvair Turbo mufflers from the 60's with 2-1/2 inch ins and outs. Or for truly stock sound reverse flows for a 413 Dodge running in NHRA Super Stock with the short ram and lateral separated Carter quads 3 inch ins and outs? A 3/4 size NCG acetylene rig some mild steel 30K psi rods, straight sections of the pipe of your desire and U-bends available from suppliers, a pair of duck nose snips and a hacksaw and then mock it up with tack welds to clear and not rattle or droop. The kickup in the tail pipes over the rear axle is much less than in a 50's or 60's car. It was the 1941 that had the last round mufflers. You did say 1942? The body of the muffler was oval or racetrack shape in section for the lower floor. On header builds, the Continental Mark II of 1956 had the head pipes go through the fender inner aprons and then go down to join the mufflers which were under the door sills. Yup! The owner showed me at the Troy Traffic Jam car show one day. Stock. You could split the center port runs like building headers for an early Olds.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 12-25-20 @ 2:57 PM

1934 Ford    -- 12-28-2020 @ 11:54 AM
  On our little 221 C.I. Flaheads we have been real happy with two short cherry bomb glasspacks. Very mellow sound and
they last almost forever. No bark, just sweet flatty sounds. On our Phaeton I kept it stock and it didn't even sound like
a flarhead v8. On our pickup , one Cherry bomb was enough
to sound like a V8 without being noisy, but obviously a V8.

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 12-28-20 @ 11:59 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14442