Topic: 34. engine pans

DPMandSAM    -- 12-23-2020 @ 5:18 AM
  I wonder if enough 34 owners have missing engine splash pans to warrant someone like drake making them?

1934 Ford    -- 12-23-2020 @ 9:41 AM
  Other than for judging points, what are they good for? I've. had 34's with and without and don;t see an advantage.

1934 Ford's since 1972

kubes40    -- 12-23-2020 @ 11:39 AM
  They were designed as an integral part of the cooling system.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

coup    -- 12-23-2020 @ 3:24 PM

This message was edited by coup on 12-25-20 @ 7:27 PM

3w2    -- 12-23-2020 @ 6:48 PM
  I believe that DPMandSAM is referring to the engine splash pans attached to frame side rails and not the oil pan attached to the engine cylinder block.

camsaure    -- 12-23-2020 @ 8:18 PM
  I totally agree with Kubes and would like to add if I may that they were also useful in keeping road dust out. While that may not be as crucial these days or in V8s with air cleaners, you may still have to drive on a dusty stretch now and then. All that aside I believe that they were much more useful in the Model T and Model A that usually did not have air cleaners and had lower side draft carbs. Think about cleaner air coming through the radiator and flowing past carb then out the rear or side louvers. Without the pans to help the airflow dust from the front tires would swirl up and around the engine compartment.

sarahcecelia    -- 12-24-2020 @ 4:18 PM
  Excuse me; Model A's had UPDRAFT carburetors; not side draft! I know,; I had a large propane business in N.J. and we ran the pump to fill cylinders with propane. We had a model A motor running on propane. No converson was needed, (because of that UPDRAFT CARB!) We had a cylinder with 100 pounds in it connected to the fuel fitting on the carb , turned the valve open on the cylinder, cranked the starter motor, and she fired right up. Standard down draft carbs needed to be converted with a propane carb, and etc. , etc.We ran all of our trucks on propane, and our cars too! Our cars had a "Dual Fuel" set up, so if you were out in "No Mans Land," and ran low on propane, you could pull a lever, flip a switch, and you were back on gasoline! In the 50' and 60's propane wholesale cost was 6 cents a gallon!Oil never gets dirty on Propane!!; and it burns clean like a propane stove!!Motors last indefintely!!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14440