Topic: 39 Mercury starting issues

39mercury    -- 12-06-2020 @ 7:47 PM
  In the past few months I have serviced several components on my 39 Merc. It started with a leaking fuel pump. I installed a new pump plus a new carb and a coil and condenser from Skip Haney. I also corrected a problem with stalling by replacing my non-vented fuel cap with a vented one. Also spent some time and elbow grease cleaning and detailing the engine compartment. The car started and ran great. Today I tried to start it the engine cranks but will not fire. The only part I recently replaced is the Battery. I also replaced the braided positive ground to body cable with a more modern solid cable. No time today to troubleshoot but since I smell fuel in the carb, should I start with putting back on the braided cable? The next item could be the of/on switch? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

carcrazy    -- 12-06-2020 @ 9:19 PM
  Did you replace the positive ground cable with one of sufficient gauge for a 6 volt system? If not, replace the new cable with the old braided one. Does the engine crank as fast in the starting mode as it did before you replaced the ground cable? Did you spray the engine with water when you cleaned it? If so, you may have gotten water into the ignition system somewhere. Check to see if any of the ignition components have moisture in or on them. If they do, thoroughly dry them off. Be sure you have spark to the plugs. Two ways to check for spark are: spray starting fluid into the carburetor before trying to start the engine, then try to start it, if it does not even try to start, you have no spark; another way to check for spark is to remove a plug wire and hold the terminal of it close to a cylinder head while cranking the engine with the ignition switch on, you should see a spark jump between the wire and the head.

39mercury    -- 12-07-2020 @ 7:07 AM
  Thanks for your reply. I did not use any water during the clean-up, so no worries there. I think you confirmed what I suspect is the culprit, that being the braided cable. I'm not sure the modern cable will handle the current from a 6v system as you pointed out. I can spray some starting fluid in the carb but I smell gas in the bowl. But before that I will change out the cable and check for spark from one of the spark plug cables to the block. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks

sarahcecelia    -- 12-07-2020 @ 9:40 AM
  To dry any WET IGNITION- Spray it with WD 40!! I learned this in the 50's, When I was 18 years old; when a Chrysler product wouldn't start on a damp or rainy day. It works "Like a Charm!!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14387