Topic: restoration

RonK    -- 12-06-2020 @ 11:37 AM
  I have 35 pickup. Thinking of having it restored. Who do I call

ford38v8    -- 12-06-2020 @ 11:58 AM
  your banker.

Alan

supereal    -- 12-06-2020 @ 12:11 PM
  Several decisions have to be made: Do I want it to be "as Henry built it", and return to as close as possible to original, or just placed in operating shape as a "driver" for occasional fun? The condition of the mechanicals: engine, driveline and, of course the braking and steering, have to be considered, as well as the status of the body, glass, and interior. Each of these will have a direct impact on the cost. For example, our shop has a flat rate of one hundred dollars an hour, and we are booked up months ahead. Even with that resource, the "restoration" of my award winning '47 Ford convertible required an investment of nearly thirty thousand dollars, not counting labor, and is now for sale for less than that! It was a "labor of love", of course, but that involves years of effort. If you are not experienced in any of the areas mentioned here, and plan to engage professional work, I hope this will influence your decisions.

kubes40    -- 12-06-2020 @ 12:11 PM
  By your question I am thinking you are looking for referrals as to whom might be a good "fit" with you. Am I correct?
Truly restored, refinished or refurbished? Makes a difference.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

3w2    -- 12-06-2020 @ 2:38 PM
  A big difference. A class A paint job on the bed takes about as much prep, paint, and polish as a whole roadster body.

kubes40    -- 12-06-2020 @ 3:34 PM
  3W2, Lord knows, I understand

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

rawlir    -- 12-06-2020 @ 7:03 PM
  Mike, Are these photos of a 35 bed?

I am restoring a 47 1ton pickup, the bed is done.....restoring a bed/box to Period Correct is time consuming and can be very expensive, i am in the midst of making NEW bedwood fit, this is fun but very challenging!!!

Good luck!!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-07-2020 @ 5:40 AM
  hi RonK
can you post a few photos so we can see what you have to work with,?
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman,

kubes40    -- 12-07-2020 @ 6:17 AM
  Rawlir, That's a '40 I'd recently restored.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

rawlir    -- 12-07-2020 @ 12:45 PM
  Thanks, Kubes,
I thought it looked alot like my 46 1/2 pickup box....yours looks like a nice restoration!!
Rick

RonK    -- 12-07-2020 @ 2:45 PM
  The truck is original all F0rd. The paint is good and there are no dents. I would just like to make it a safe driver. The interior could be redone. The windshield wiper motor has been removed and someone installed a banjo steering wheel which I can do without. I have the original key set and the vin is correct. The engine I have been told is not original and has been replaced with a 1938 flathead. There has been some rust repair on some of the fenders at the attach points which look fine to me. The wire wheels show rust at the rims. More info if you need it.

RonK    -- 12-07-2020 @ 2:48 PM
  Probably refinished along with some additions. Turn signals and maybe hyd brakes.

RonK    -- 12-07-2020 @ 2:50 PM
  Thanks Allen. You are probably right.

kubes40    -- 12-07-2020 @ 3:11 PM
  Ron, It appears all you desire are some repairs. That shouldn't require calling your bank.
I'd suggest you contact your local club and ask for references in your area. Surely someone in that area can handle the (simple) things you desire at a fair price.
You can click on "Regional Club Directory" for contact information.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 12-7-20 @ 3:12 PM

pfrancis    -- 12-07-2020 @ 9:05 PM
  RonK-My suggestion would be to do it yourself as much as possible. If you have a passion for it you may be surprised what you can do with the help of this forum and EFV-8 members or other like minded people. You will need some books, tools and a garage to work in. You do not have to be a mechanic, just a passion to get it done. Hiring the work to be done is off the charts expensive and you will not have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. This worked for me.
Good luck,
pfrancis

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14386