Topic: Vinyl Top

sarahcecelia    -- 12-06-2020 @ 8:12 AM
  What is the best thing to put on my 1950 Crestliner vinyl top to protect it , and preserve it?

Regards, Steve Lee

therunwaybehind    -- 12-06-2020 @ 8:49 AM
  What makes you think it is vinyl? The first polyvinyl chloride toys I had were some knights with a Marx sheet steel lithographed castle where the ramparts and other plastic were hard and definitely poly styrene not the poly ethylene that was alos soft. Vinyl tops were popular on all brands and responsible for the reputation of the material much later (aprpx 1962) along with "opera windows." So lets go look at "vinyl" when was it invented and when did Ford decide to use something that was not the same as canvas and the stuff they used on station wagons and earlier composite tops. useful as of 1933 https://geon.com/the-geon-story/ I first saw a Crestliner in winter of 1950 or so driven by a student of my father's named Osentoski whose dad owned the Ford/ New Holland franchise at the east end of town. To me the fabric looked duller than the shiney vinyl I had seen in toys. It was not as shiny as styrene. Hmmm, this drives me now to where I joined the ASTM. I'm no authority and I don't believe anything today about yesterday unless the provenance is exact. I don't need my member #, I can buy a copy of ASTM D1593 - 19
Standard Specification for Nonrigid Vinyl Chloride Plastic Film and Sheeting for $46.00.

sarahcecelia    -- 12-06-2020 @ 10:57 AM
  I ask for a simple answer to an easy question and I get a bunch of rambleing.What makes you think it isn't vinyl??

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 12-6-20 @ 11:01 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 12-06-2020 @ 10:59 AM
  I had it installed, and it is; "V I N Y L!!!"

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 12-6-20 @ 11:02 AM

therunwaybehind    -- 12-06-2020 @ 2:40 PM
  Apparantly ,it isn't an easy question or you would not be asking it after so long. I searched things out because I had not offered a product in 1957 when I actually sold such things. The next vinyl top I saw was on a 1964 Thunderbird and I saw that one closely.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-07-2020 @ 6:04 AM
  hi Steve Lee
I use TURTLE WAX Inside and Out Protectant, on various jobs,
I do not have a car with a vinyl top,
but it says, ALL PLASTIC,VINYL RUBBER SURFACES,
I posted a few photos,
I would try a small spot to see what results you receive,
I washed a lawn mower and sprayed this on and it looked brand new,
should repel water,
Hope this HELPS, 37Ragtopman, MAINE
I got this at WALMART, cost around $7.00

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 12-9-20 @ 9:16 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 12-07-2020 @ 9:34 AM
  Thank you , Ragman!!

Regards, Steve Lee

trjford8    -- 12-08-2020 @ 7:03 AM
  Try Meguiar's Natural Shine. It is good for vinyl and by it's name gives you a nice natural sheen. You can find it at almost any store that carries automotive detail products.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-08-2020 @ 8:12 AM
  HI Steve Lee
. its 37 Ragtopman
here's my 1937 been driving it since 1981 self restored, with help from Jack for the painting,
I did all the prep of the body work.

sarahcecelia    -- 12-08-2020 @ 4:44 PM
  I ordered a space age product from Amazon, that I remembered a lady friend using on her 15 year old Jeep, that always looked like NEW! She had used it for years.
Well I remembered the product, Googled it on Amazon, and BINGO!! I bought 2 spray bottles of it for $32.90, including tax and shipping!!

(Aero Space Protectant!!) Good for the paint, and vinyl top!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14385