Topic: overflow tank kit

flatfoot    -- 12-01-2020 @ 2:20 PM
  Does anybody use this item on a '36 Ford 4 door touring sedan? I am thinking I want to purchase one, but not sure How it would mount under the hood next to the radiator. I use a plastic one but it melted when it got near the exhaust pipe. I had it on the front frame rail. (oops!). Not sure just where to mount it. Directions say next to the radiator on line. But not on my car. At least not next to the radiator. Maybe the driver's side firewall?

carcrazy    -- 12-01-2020 @ 5:24 PM
  Do you have a pressurized cooling system? If not, the coolant in your catch tank will not be drawn back into the radiator when the engine cools down. If your cooling system is not pressurized, do not use an overflow tank. Simply fill the radiator with as much coolant as it takes to cover the top of the core. Most Flatheads will let you know how much coolant they want in the radiator. If you fill it with more than the engine wants, it will be lost as the engine warms up and reaches operating temperature.

40cpe    -- 12-02-2020 @ 5:40 AM
  I don't have a '36, but have a recovery bottle on my '38 deluxe. The radiator isn't pressurized, but a good seal on the radiator cap to radiator neck is necessary. It does return the coolant to the radiator, keeping the coolant level up to the overflow tube at all times. I use a plastic bottle on the frame rail next to the radiator.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-02-2020 @ 7:32 AM
  hi flatfoot
I use one of SKIPS pressure valves on the over flow pipe and a sealed Radiator cap. [Ship has instructions]
fill when operating temp,
no water lose in years, I used distilled water [ out of a DEHUMIDIFIER ] and a water wetter,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

JayChicago    -- 12-02-2020 @ 10:19 AM
  I don't get the logic of a recovery tank. I don't think there is any purpose to it.

Modern cars use a remote recovery tank because their radiators use the entire space available for the fin tube heat exchanger. Then a remote expansion/recovery tank is necessary.

Our tall radiators have an expansion tank built-in to the radiator, the couple inches above the heat exchanger. Having a second remote expansion/recovery tank serves no purpose. It will allow you to fill the radiator to the top, but that extra quart of water filling the expansion tank above the heat exchanger doesn't do anything to help the cooling system. After the engine is up to temperature that extra water is just sitting in the remote recovery tank, where it is not doing anything to help the cooling system.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14373