Topic: 1940 Ford Fuel Line Routing?

RAK402    -- 11-30-2020 @ 1:04 PM
  I replaced the fuel tank and metal fuel line from the tank to the clamp on the firewall a few years ago.

I accidentally routed the line between the clutch and brake pedals (this cannot be right).

Does anyone have a photograph of the correct routing under the floorboards?

Thank you all in advance.

42wagon    -- 12-01-2020 @ 3:57 AM
  No picture. The fuel line on my 42 is in the left side frame rail from the gas tank to the front pillar. Then it makes a right angle bend along the firewall over the pedals and steering column.

kubes40    -- 12-01-2020 @ 6:00 AM
  Rak, I have attached two photos that should help you. Both are "in process" of the restoration and as such, the line along the frame rail is not fastened as yet. Note that it is (will be correctly) clamped at the upper bolts that go through the running board braces.
At the front you can see where the line comes up from the frame. Also, if concourse correct matters to you, note the offset bend near the top (dash panel) where the line goes horizontal.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 12-1-20 @ 6:01 AM

agriffey    -- 12-01-2020 @ 9:17 AM
  But if you have dual exhaust then you should figure out a good route down the left side that keeps the fuel line as far from the left exhaust pipe as possible.
When I put dual exhausts on my two ‘46 fordor cars I got vapor lock on both cars on hot days in slow traffic.

sarahcecelia    -- 12-01-2020 @ 2:19 PM
  I have a 1940 convertible, and the metal gas line runs along the inside of the frame on the Driver's side, from the drivers tail light to near the front of the fire wall; and then it routs up the firewall as you described.

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 12-01-2020 @ 4:10 PM
  Yep Steve, the convertible routing is the same as all of the passenger cars.
Here's a photo of the last convertible I'd restored for comparison.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

RAK402    -- 12-01-2020 @ 8:53 PM
  Wow!

Thank you all for the great photographs and advice.

I can see where it should go now and how far off mine is.

Thank you again!

RAK402    -- 12-04-2020 @ 3:01 PM
  Mike,

I just finished re-routing the fuel line.

Thank you again for the great advice and photographs!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14368