Topic: Oil plug in engine pan leaks

blarge    -- 11-27-2020 @ 12:23 PM
  The oil drain plug in my 48 Mercury leaks around the gasket. I have changed to a solid copper gasket, but that leaks too. The first leaking gasket was a gray paper material from Bob Drake. Any ideas on how to seal this type of very large dia plug in the 59-A engine? Thanks, Bill Large

carcrazy    -- 11-27-2020 @ 1:32 PM
  Hi Bill, How much torque are you applying to tighten this 2" diameter drain plug? You might try just tightening it a little bit more. If that does not stop the oil leaking, you can apply a thin coat of Permatex #2 non-hardening sealer to each side of the gasket or washer and re-installing it.

sarahcecelia    -- 11-27-2020 @ 4:50 PM
  Do what I do;

Looking at the threaded side if the drain plug, wrap Teflon tape around the treads "CLOCKWISE": if you wrap it counter clockwise it will have a tendency to "back off the threads" when you install it; and don't be "Skimpy" with that tape!!

My oil drain plug leaked, they ALL DO! That Teflon taping cured it!!

I tried Aviation Permatex,and 2 or 3 other methods; they didn't work!

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 11-28-2020 @ 8:49 AM
  PTFE tape shreds easily when tightening a plug. Make sure that you leave at least the first 2 threads exposed so that the fine shreds will not find their way into the oil system. The first threads are the starting threads, not the ones closest to the nut end of the plug.

If normal procedure do not seal the drain plug, the threads are probably damaged or the gasket surface is not smooth.

Tom

42wagon    -- 11-28-2020 @ 10:31 AM
  Another thing you can try is Gasoila. Comes in small can at your Napa store. This was recommended to me by a modern motor mechanic who keeps can in his tool box to stop pesky gas fitting leeks. Worked for me on a gas line fitting.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-29-2020 @ 6:03 AM
  B Large
Oil drip in oil pan,
does the oil pan have a insert in the pan the plug screws into?
I have had several MODEL A pans over the years that the insert is loose and drips
had to braze the insert in to stop the oil leak,
you might have to remove the oil pan,
hope this helps,
37Ragtopman

blarge    -- 11-29-2020 @ 1:06 PM
  A summary of the inputs as they apply to my car. The copper gasket was very tight, but still leaked. There is no separate plate on the pan. The seal surface on the pan and plug look smooth and flat. I plan to us Teflon tape on the threads of the plug being careful to keep the 2 lead in threads empty and use Permatex #2 on both sides of a new Carpenter gray paper gasket. I hope this all works, and will give an update in a few days. Bill Large

39 Ken    -- 11-30-2020 @ 5:45 AM
  The heavy copper washer will do the job if it is soft enough.
If your copper washer is old, it has to be annealed to soften
it back to it's original "softness".

Annealing is a process wherein
you heat it to a soft red and immediately dunk it in cold water.
Descriptions of annealing can be found on BING to give a more
complete idea of the way it is done.

Once completed, the washer
should seal the oil drain.

Ken

FordHead    -- 12-01-2020 @ 3:08 PM
  I use non hardening permatex

1936 Ford

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14362