Topic: 1950 Crestliner Worm /To Sector Teeth Relationship

sarahcecelia    -- 11-26-2020 @ 3:05 PM
  The worm has (4) grooves for the sector, which has (3) teeth. I find that odd. My thought is that, that will cause more turns of the steering wheel on one side than the other; won't it??

My thinking tells me with (3) teeth on the sector, the worm should have (3) grooves for them so it would be centered; giving eqaulity to both left, and right turns; (stop to stop) when the steering wheel is in the "Straight Ahead" position.

Also when checking the steering wheel turns, it had about 1-8th more left than right- "Stop to Stop." About 16" less of the circumference., measured with a cloth (seamstress tape measure). with red electrical tape on the top of the steering wheel to count turns by.

Should I install the sector teeth more toward the top of the worm, or more toward the bottom to correct that? I have thoroughly read the Ford Manual, P.130 and past it, about 10 times over the last 3-4 months, trying to figure this out, to no avail! it says nothing about the relationship of the sector /worm, or just where to install it with relation to the worm / sector teeth! Also, that cork gasket does not seal the oil in the box?? I soaked it in water to un-shrink it to size, ( It was dried out, and thus not quite thick enough to seal), and it still leaks! Why?? Would gasket material , of the proper thickness be better?

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 11-26-20 @ 3:23 PM

TomO    -- 11-27-2020 @ 10:14 AM
  Steve, can you post photos of the steering wheel, steering wheel shaft and pitman arm, showing the splines?

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 11-27-2020 @ 11:32 AM
  I'll try to upload photos Tom!

What do you say about the problem with that cork gasket leaking Tom??

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 11-28-20 @ 5:04 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 11-27-2020 @ 11:42 AM
  Tom, I'm not a computor NERD at 83 yrs. old.

Can you please send me the steps to do that?

All I know is to take those photos, install the chip in my CPU, and then what to do I do to put it on a reply to you?? Like step (1) do this; (2)Etc., Etc.

Steve

Regards, Steve Lee

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 11-27-2020 @ 4:24 PM
  There now is an explaination at the top of the General Ford Discussion about adding photos.

If you have the photos on your pc (or device that you are using to post here) then enter your reply.
If you look down, you will see the Image Attachment (max 5) and a symbol that looks like a camera.
Below it is a button that says Choose File -- Click on that and you should go to your photo file.
Find the photos you want to attach.
Click on the first one --then hold down the CNTL key and continue to click on photos (up to 5 of them). (if you release the CNTL key before you are done choosing photos, only the last one will show up)

It will take a minute or two for the photo files to download to the web server. When that is done, click on Submit Reply and wait for the message that says your reply has been entered.

If you have more that 5 photos, just click Reply to the last discussion entry and add some more, following the steps listed above.

Web Administrator

sarahcecelia    -- 11-27-2020 @ 4:55 PM
  Thank you so much! I osee the instructions at the top of the page, wher you said they would be! I have never done that photo stuff ,so I'll give it a try.

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14361