Topic: Wiring problems

silverchief    -- 06-22-2010 @ 6:46 PM
  After repeated hammering on the suggestion, over and over again, by this very Forum - I decided to take a whole lazy day and do nothing but undo absolutely EVERY wiring connection I could reach on my car - clean it until bright with with steel wool, and then apply Dielectric Grease before reassembly.

The results - to put it mildly - were immediate and amazing. I am obviously a genius.

trjford8    -- 06-22-2010 @ 8:11 PM
  Silverchief, thanks for letting us know the results of your efforts. Us "old guys" on here always appreciate someone letting us know that we don't know everything, but we know ALMOST everything.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 6-22-10 @ 8:13 PM

fenbach    -- 06-22-2010 @ 8:13 PM
  quite a coincidence. i just signed on to ask about dim tailights on my '36. the tailights alone and brake lights alone work fine. but together, they nearly go out. with a hot wire directly to the brake switch, bypassing the rotating switch assembly at the base of the steering column, they work fine alone and together. all the connections are clean. any idea if something might need attention inside the switch assembly - or anywhere, for that matter?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-23-2010 @ 6:24 AM
  pop it apart and check for a bare wire or broken switch or something else causing your problems,and while in their check and clean the brass contacts,and the tension spring could have broken and is contacting something in there, it might be greasy, so have some shop towels handy,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37 RAGTOPMAN

TomO    -- 06-23-2010 @ 8:03 AM
  Try adding a ground wire from the taillight housing to the frame. It sounds more like a grounding problem than a voltage problem

Tom

supereal    -- 06-23-2010 @ 9:36 AM
  The switch at the bottom of the steering column has always been a problem from the start, as it collects oil that seeps from the steering box. There is an endplate with a long tube that will help stop the leakage, or braze the existing plate to a tube. To clean the switch and contacts, open the switch body and give it a bath of aerosol brake or carb cleaner.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1435