Topic: Sealed beam headlight

Barney    -- 11-17-2020 @ 6:04 AM
  Good morning, (unless you're just getting up from your afternoon nap),

I'm looking for headlights for my 1940 Ford closed car. I found what I believe are the correct sealed beam headlights at Dennis Carpenter. Anyone wish to offer advise of a better outlet? I'm all ears. Thanks.
Barney

kubes40    -- 11-17-2020 @ 6:14 AM
  I'm not certain what Carpenter lists.
Drake lists Ford script bulbs for $25 each. Whether he has them or not is the million dollar question. I have installed Drakes and they are nice quality.
Be certain to get the bulbs with NO locating tabs. If you don't, you'll need to remove them. It's quite doable but if you can avoid it, I suggest you do.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

supereal    -- 11-17-2020 @ 9:49 AM
  Some vendors, including Drake, offer halogen headlights. I found that they offer little, if any, improvement over the standard "sealed beam" type. I devised a relay board to feed the lights directly from a battery source, using two 6 volt starter solenoids. My headlights are now as bright as new. By the time the power goes thru the headlight switch, the dimmer switch, and a handful of connectors, not much is left, particularly in a six volt system. The relay board is operated by the stock system, and connected at the junction at the left front of the engine compartment using regular connectors so the device can be removed if desired. If you want or need a pictorial of this unit, send your regular mailing address to me via a personal message on this site.

This message was edited by supereal on 11-17-20 @ 11:36 AM

Barney    -- 11-17-2020 @ 5:41 PM
  Hello Mr. Kube, Thank you for the suggestion of Dennis Carpenter. $25 / bulb doesn't bother me, but the $31 shipping charge is a bit on the heavy side - sure beats driving to pick them up. And especially thank you for the heads-up re the three locator tabs. I never noticed there are no notches in the adjusting rings. I assume the only safe way to remove tabs is by grinding?? Just thinking - wouldn't it be easy to grind three small notches in each adjusting ring?
Thank you,
Barney

Barney    -- 11-17-2020 @ 5:49 PM
  Hello Supereal, I would have guessed halogen bulbs would out-perform the standard sealed beams. Your electrical set-up sounds intriguing. I know enough about electricity to cause sparks, fires and excitement.
Barney

kubes40    -- 11-17-2020 @ 7:12 PM
  Barney,
Carpenter has flat rate shipping. It seems to me it's $10 for orders below $100 and $15 for orders above $100.
The problem with the three tabs is they interfere with the headlamp bezel fit, not the retainer ring.
You can grind off the tabs if you're patient and careful not to overheat the glass.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14335