Topic: '49 Ford

jfarrell    -- 06-22-2010 @ 3:43 PM
  I've got a problem. Almost finished with the car. It's just about ready to start. It's got new wiring and is a 6-volt positive ground system. It also has a new Optima battery in a Ford case. I went to hook up the battery and noted that the ground cable heats up when both cables are attached to the battery. When I hook up the negative cable (after the ground cable is already hooked up) it sparks. I've always understood that a hot cable and sparking indicate something is wrong. So far I've checked all the wiring in the engine compartment and I believe that part of the car is correctly wired. Anyone got any suggestions what's wrong? Thanks

BMora    -- 06-22-2010 @ 4:35 PM
  You are correct. A hot cable and sparks indicate trouble. Being that the fat batter cable is warming up, you have a high current short. The usual culprits (aside from human error) would be a the starter solenoid (21A-11450) or Starter switch (6A-11500).

TomO    -- 06-22-2010 @ 5:02 PM
  Get a volt meter and follow the procedure I wrote in the post titled "40 charging question" to find your short.

I always like to connect the grounded cable last and disconnect it first to reduce the chance of sparking near the battery.

If you need further assistance, please ask here.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-22-10 @ 5:17 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-22-2010 @ 5:13 PM
  disconnect the generator, tape the ends over so do not touch a ground, and then touch the battery cable and see if it sparks.
IF it does not your generator is grounded out inside,
or could be a voltage regulator internal problems
do the same thing with the starter sol and the starter itself,
you can hook a test light between a ground cable and the ground battery terminal,
and just discconnect till the light goes out and you found your problem,and will not cause anthing to get hot and melt, sounds. to me like you have a direct ground in your electric system
GOOD LUCK,, KEEP ON TRUCKIN 37 RAGTOPMAN

trjford8    -- 06-22-2010 @ 8:37 PM
  Did you change the wiring to the courtesy lights? Many times that wiring is not changed and by now the insulation has deteriorated to the point that there is a direct short in that system. There is a constant "hot" to the courtesy light switch aznd this could be the problem.

jfarrell    -- 06-25-2010 @ 10:47 AM
  Thanks for the help. Directions were great. It was the horn relay. The weird thing is that the wiring diagram I have shows it was hooked up correctly or the relay is upside down. Thanks again -- no more warm cable and no more sparks. Jim Farrell

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1433