Topic: STEERING LINKAGE

sarahcecelia    -- 11-15-2020 @ 5:39 AM
  I installed a new sector shaft in my 1950 sedan.

Now, with the the pitman arm straight back, the steering wheel dead ahead, the front wheels dead ahead; (and off the floor) I have more turns to the right than the left?? About 1 and 1/2 to 2+? (a guess) Is it possible that the sector is installed off a tooth?

I don't know if it was like this before I did the work., because the only thing I ever did previously, was to adjust the toe in to: 1/16"-1/8", toe in.

Would the fix be: 1) count the turns of the steering wheel, (2) put it at the mid point, (3) install the pitman straight back (4) Re-adjust the wheels to straight ahead (5) re-set the toe in. That sounds like it would be the "Fix,"to me, but I want to be certain! Tom O, "Happy belated Birthday,",what say you??

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 11-15-20 @ 8:16 AM

1931 Flamingo    -- 11-15-2020 @ 6:08 AM
  What year??
Probably as you stated, the toe-in isn't going to change. JMO
Paul in CT

sarahcecelia    -- 11-15-2020 @ 8:14 AM
  1950 sedan.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 11-15-2020 @ 8:51 AM
  When you re-adjust the tie rods; even if you count the turns 0n both sides very carefully, there is a pretty good chance that the toe in will be off just enough so you have to reset it.I know that, because back in the day, when I was a full time mechanic,I found that to be very true!! Sometimes, you get lucky, and the toe in is still okay, but MOST OF THE TIME- you have to re-set it, BECAUSE IT'S OFf JUST ENOUGH TO BE OUT OF SPEC!!! The spec on my car is 1/16th to 1/8th inch. Most guys don't know why they give you that tolerance; it is so if there is a VERY LITTLE WEAR(NO PLAY) in the linkage;(tie rod ends/idler arm,etc.)you can set the toe in anywhere from 1/16th to the max of 1/8th. If there is a LITTLE ACCEPTABLE PLAY, you ALWAYS set it to 1/16th!!(I always set mine to the 1/16th spec, regardless.) I know the basics, castor,(angle fore/aft-king pin,camber (vertical in/out of the wheel,) toe (horizontal in /out of wheels) very well.I was schooled in that geometry.

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 11-15-2020 @ 8:54 AM
  Steve, follow the procedure in the Shop Manual "Check and adjust steering wheel position" on page 130.

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 11-15-2020 @ 2:05 PM
  I've read that before; but I'll look at it again. I'm going to do just that Tom; Thanks!, 1st I'm going to do the following:

I'm thinking I have to turn the steering wheel to count the total number of turns, lock to lock,then turn it back 1/2 of that total.Remove the pitman arm, and put it back on; straight back, and parallel to the frame. That should give me equal turns right, and equal turns left, "Or close enough" as they say. It's very hard to count them, because this crestliner has that FANCY STEERING wheel, with that fancy horn ring, and the "X" spokes, Four of them,and it's an odd number of total turns, like 4and 1/3rd; but I can and will, get the number of turns right , and left as close as humanly possible! (You of course know, that the steering wheel only goes on it's shaft in one position; Right?) How does my stratagy sound to you Tom??

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 11-15-20 @ 6:51 PM

TomO    -- 11-16-2020 @ 8:43 AM
  Put a piece of masking tape on the rim steering wheel in the middle of the X on one side, to help you count the turns.

I thought that both the steering wheel and the pitman arm had a spot where the spline tooth was wider than the other teeth and that they lined up ( steering wheel spokes in horizontal position and the pitman arm straight back) when the roller was on the center of the worm. If yours do not line up, you will have to remove the sector housing and then install the sector shaft so they do line up.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14327