Topic: Antifreeze splatter

Zero    -- 11-12-2020 @ 7:50 AM
  While checking over my 37 Model 78 slantback I noticed some antifreeze splatter on the front fenders parallel to the fan belt after startup. I was able to determine it was coming from the back side of the water pump pulley. I think it maybe the seal giving out but would like the forums opinion. And if it is that, would my next step be removing the water pumps to have them rebuilt? If I need to remove the water pumps, I might as well pull the radiator and have it flushed and pressure checked. Do I need to remove the grill in order to pull the radiator? And what is the best way to hold the engine up while the pumps are removed? So many questions, so sorry. The forum has provided me with guidance before and I thank you for that. I'm here again asking for your help.

John Z.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-12-2020 @ 10:10 AM
  HI ZERO
to remove the water pumps, using a board and a floor jack , hold the engine up with the oil pan,
remember there is a bolt inside the lower water outlet in the block, use a 6 POINT SOCKET, not a 12 point,
do not break off the bolt, !!!
do both water pumps at this time,
removing the radiator,
remove the generator , and upper hoses and radiator support rods,
you should be able to tilt the radiator backwards and pull it out,
do not pull the grill, you do not have to, i
have a helper with you,
and replace the hoses, use the old bottom hoses, for measurement ,
if the car is in a garage and does not freeze use distilled water, and water wetter for coolant,
this doe not make a mess, like antifreeze ,
Skip can rebuild your with improved design impellers , also has a pressure valve that goes on the overflow, which pressurizers
the coolant system, it comes with instruction or you can call
I used this on my 37 for years with no problems.,
Hope this helps, 37Ragopman

1931 Flamingo    -- 11-12-2020 @ 12:11 PM
  Unless the fan is attached to the generator (I don't remember on 37's), be careful of the fan when removing the radiator.
Paul in CT

fordv8j    -- 11-12-2020 @ 5:41 PM
  be careful, don't raise engine to high without removing fuel pump stand, it can break; ask me how I know

40 Coupe    -- 11-13-2020 @ 4:03 AM
  If originality is important make sure the pumps you have are correct including pulleys, before having them rebuilt.

Zero    -- 11-13-2020 @ 8:00 AM
  Thank you all for the feedback. I'll keep all your advise in mind. Thanks again.

John Z.

oatycorb    -- 11-13-2020 @ 2:34 PM
  I would definitely have Skip Haney rebuild your water pumps, he did mine on my '37 Fordoor. Superb workmanship with modern components make his pumps far superior to anything that originally came on these cars. Had mine done a year or two ago, cost was $225.00 as I recall. Hope this helps.

Zero    -- 11-13-2020 @ 5:09 PM
  Oaty,

Mr. Haney did my voltage regulator and distributor several years ago. Superb workmanship and I've read and heard nothing different about his pump rebuilds. The pumps will be heading south once they're off.

Thank you.

John Z.

trjford8    -- 11-14-2020 @ 8:18 AM
  Depending on your location I use Daryl Fryer for rebuilt water pumps. He advertises in the V-8 Times and is located in California. Excellent service and his pumps work great.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14322