Topic: Spark Plugs

bo8109b    -- 06-22-2010 @ 2:35 PM
  Want to replace the plugs in my '48 flathead. Car came with Champion H10C. The packaging on that plug in the store reads "Small Engine" Is that also the correct plug for my Ford?

Stroker    -- 06-22-2010 @ 3:46 PM
  In the fifties, the Champion H-10 was the "standard accepted plug" for most flatmotors. Given the degradation of quality, I wouldn't recommend a Champion spark plug today, even for my lawnmower.
The same goes for Fram filters, which used to be the best for Fords.

Buyouts, corporate re-structuring, and other machinations on the part of the "Quarterly-Return"
MBA graduates of our business schools, have pretty-much destroyed the old trusted trademarks.

I'm sure there are lots of good suggestions regarding alternatives forthcoming, and like you, I will like to hear what currently "works". I apologize for this "diatribe", but I've had too many problems with both Champion plugs and Fram filters to not be concerned about recommending either one to anyone who has invested time and money in their beloved early Ford.

Dan (Stroker) Kalbach,
kalbach@wildbluepella.org

deluxe40    -- 06-22-2010 @ 4:52 PM
  My last new set of H10C plugs let me down after the first 1000 miles of a 2500 mile tour in our '50 Ford. After I tried just about everything else to resolve a bad miss a fellow traveller told me to replace the H10Cs with Autolite 216 plugs. That cured the problem and I have been using 216s happily for the last ten years.

trjford8    -- 06-22-2010 @ 8:23 PM
  I've had good luck with the Autolite 216's.You can also try the following; NGK B6L, NGK B4L, Bosch 4214 which is a platinum plug.

supereal    -- 06-24-2010 @ 7:29 AM
  I use Champion RJ14YC plugs instead of the usual H-10s. The longer tips tend to stay cleaner, and with a .028 to .030 gap, they reduce misfiring. Champions have gotten a bad rep, for some reason, but they are readily available and less expensive than some foreign types.

1934 Ford    -- 06-24-2010 @ 8:57 AM
  I don't know the number for the 24 Stud Flathead, but the Early Ford V8's with the 21 Stud engine used the Champion D-16. After 30 years of using Champion I discovered the Autolite 386 spark plug.
The Autolite 386 runs hotter and outlasts and out performs the Champion.
I buy them at Advance Auto for $1.44 each. I plan to never clean a plug again, for that price I use fresh one's when the start to look dirty.
They can cross reference from your old 24 Stud Champion number to Autolite.

supereal    -- 06-24-2010 @ 11:09 AM
  We switched to Champion because the Autolite plugs tended to load up. I suspect they were somewhat "cooler" than the RJ type. Any new plug should show some improvement. The real test comes after a few thousand miles, particularly if the engine condition is on the worn side. That's when the old H-10s usually fouled.

40guy    -- 06-24-2010 @ 12:19 PM
  I also use Autolite 216; and they have black bases which I think looks better anyway.

Grant    -- 06-25-2010 @ 11:50 AM
  Stroker Dan's comment re Fram filters being less-than-ideal causes me some concern.

About a year ago I changed the oil on an 8BA V8 engine and used a Fram C4 filter. Immediately upon firing it, the engine had a low frequency, quite audible, knocking noise which had never been there before. It sounded something like a bad rod bearing.

Is it possible that the Fram C4 filter was not allowing oil to pass through it, and thereby causing lubricant starvation ? If not, what else might be wrong with using a Fram C4 ?

What oil filters are you fellows using on the 1949 to 1953 V8 engines ? What would you recommend rather than the Fram C4 ?

Thanks, Grant

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1432