Topic: Steering box lubricant

oatycorb    -- 11-10-2020 @ 4:20 PM
  I read a post some time back about the best type of steering box lube to use. I rebuilt the steering box in my '37 sedan a few years ago, and after much thought I decided to fill it up with good old gooey STP oil treatment. I don't even know if they even sell it anymore but I had an unopened bottle of it and it seemed (to my mind anyway) to be an ideal steering box lubricant. The car still isn't on the road yet so I haven't driven it like this but after reading a lot of Ford forums over the past few years I've never seen any mention of someone using this in their box. I know it's thick but since nothing is moving very fast in that box in normal use I thought it would work quite well. Any thoughts on this from you more experienced Ford guys out there?

MG    -- 11-10-2020 @ 4:57 PM
  John Deere Special-Purpose Corn Head Gun Grease - AN102562

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Special-Purpose-Corn-Head-Gun-Grease-AN102562.html

Description
John Deere Special-Purpose Corn Head Gun Grease
Features:

Formulated for John Deere corn head and other slow-speed gear cases
-30 to 330 F (-34 to 165 C)
Extra-soft grade of lubricating grease, required for row-unit gear cases of John Deere corn heads

Service rating:

NLGI grade 0
JDMJ13A5, J13E6, and J25A

Physical properties:

Green color
Contains extreme-pressure additives
Excellent at high and low temperatures
Resists moisture and water washout
Polyurea thickened
Contains anti-rust properties
14-oz. tube compatible with most grease guns
Also available in 35-lb pail

This message was edited by MG on 11-10-20 @ 4:59 PM

woodiewagon46    -- 11-10-2020 @ 6:02 PM
  I have been using the John Deere Corn Head Grease in my Model A for a couple of years now and I haven't had any issues such as leakage, I like it.

joe b    -- 11-11-2020 @ 5:48 AM
  I also use Corn Head in my '41. Highly recommend.

TomO    -- 11-11-2020 @ 6:56 AM
  If you have rebuilt your steering gear box, then I recommend that you use SAE 140 EP gear oil. JD Cornhead is good for leaky boxes, but yours should be OK with the new seals and gaskets.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 11-11-2020 @ 2:17 PM
  I am using John Deere Corn Head Grease in the steering box of a '53 and I highly recommend it's use.

oatycorb    -- 11-11-2020 @ 2:45 PM
  Thank you all for the advice. I guess what I was really wondering is if it's okay to leave the STP in there. The box has been resealed with fresh gaskets, sector shaft seal and NOS sector shaft bushings. If there was an easy way to drain the STP out of it without complete disassembly I'd probably go with the lubes you guys recommend. But I understand that if none of you have used STP oil treatment in these boxes you probably can't say one way or the other if it's okay to leave it as it is. Was just wondering, as I tend to do a lot of that where this car is concerned. I've been a car and motorcycle mechanic for most of my life but this stuff from the 30's is all new to me!

carcrazy    -- 11-11-2020 @ 3:26 PM
  You may be able to remove the STP from the steering box by using a suction gun. You might want to thin the STP first with kerosene to make it easier to flow into the gun.

1934 Ford    -- 11-11-2020 @ 4:59 PM
  I used STP and when it melted and began leaking out, I swithched to John Deere Cornhead Grease.
More good advice I got here on this Forum about 6 years ago. Still good advice today.

1934 Ford's since 1972

TomO    -- 11-11-2020 @ 5:57 PM
  STP is not an EP gear oil, it is a viscosity thickener for motor oil. IMHO it is not good for the steering gear box.

Tom

1931 Flamingo    -- 11-12-2020 @ 6:47 AM
  PennRite steering box lube, does NOT leak.
Paul in CT

oatycorb    -- 11-12-2020 @ 9:58 AM
  Thanks again guys, looks like I'll be sucking out the STP somehow.

oatycorb    -- 11-12-2020 @ 3:47 PM
  Update: turns out getting the STP out wasn't such a big deal anyway. I unbolted the top cover and sucked virtually all of it out with an animal feeding syringe connected to a small diameter rubber hose to get down into all the nooks and crannies at the bottom of the box. Worked perfectly. Thanks again for all the helpful advice, you guys are the best.

40 Coupe    -- 11-13-2020 @ 4:04 AM
  I agree with TomO.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14319