Topic: Lubrication? Distributor Advance Bearings...

RAK402    -- 11-04-2020 @ 2:40 PM
  Should the two small bearings in the distributor advance mechanism, or any other part of it be lubricated?

I assume this whole assembly should be very clean and that the weights must move very freely?

TomO    -- 11-05-2020 @ 7:53 AM
  In order to answer your question, it is necessary to have the year of the distributor that you are working on.

Tom

RAK402    -- 11-05-2020 @ 9:06 AM
  TomO,

Sorry-that was foolish of me.

I am working on one 11A and one 68 Distributor. Both the "Diving Bell" type, both to go on my 1940 Ford.

I have been through the 11A and re-assembled it (but can take it apart again very easily, if necessary).

I put distributor cam grease (a very small amount on the cam) and a little bit of it as well where the shaft slides through the cam (not sure if this was right). I put a couple of drops of Marvel Mystery Oil in each bushing in the aluminum housing.

I cleaned the pivots for the weights (cleaned the entire advance mechanism with aerosol brake cleaner) so that everything moves smoothly. I did not apply any lubricant to the pivot points for the weights, area where the pins move in the stamped sheet metal plates, or the two small bearings (which look like very small ball bearings-these were the ones that I was concerned about, but if anything else should be lubed I would like to know that too.

Thank you.

40 Coupe    -- 11-06-2020 @ 4:01 AM
  Use the MMO or synthetic gun oil. A lot of rebuilders like to insulate under the rotor with shrink tube or a wrap of electrical tape, before the rotor is installed.

ken ct.    -- 11-06-2020 @ 5:30 AM
  I always place 1 drop of lite motor oil on the tiny bearing and some white grease on the pins. Also the center of shaft with shrink tubeing . ken ct

RAK402    -- 11-06-2020 @ 11:33 AM
  Thank you both!

dandy32    -- 11-07-2020 @ 4:18 AM
  why do they put the shrink tubimg on the shaft

ken ct.    -- 11-07-2020 @ 4:35 AM
  It will stop an electicle shock from the shaft through the rotor. Tip from the fammed "Bubba" ken ct.

dandy32    -- 11-07-2020 @ 3:15 PM
  O ok thanks Bubba set up my 8ba distributor its perfect. Anyone hear how he's doing

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14296