Topic: 59ab engine assembly question

oatycorb    -- 10-25-2020 @ 8:40 AM
  I finally got my crank and rods back from the machine shop and will be assembling my '47 bone stock 59ab engine shortly. My question concerns order of assembly. I've read a few articles that indicate the cam and valvetrain assembly should be installed and all valves adjusted before the crank is installed. Unfortunately my engine stand has no provision for rotating the motor upside down and the block is now upside down on my workbench so I can install the cam and crank before flipping it over onto tall wooden blocks so I can get the hoist hooked back up to it and get it back on the stand. Just wondered if there was any reason why I should get the valvetrain all set up before the crank goes in. Probably a stupid question but this is my first flathead rebuild and I'm still learning about these things, thanks for any advice!!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-25-2020 @ 8:56 AM
  HI
I would think it would be easier to turn over the cam and valves,
with out the drag of the pistons and rods,
but it can be done either way,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

oatycorb    -- 10-26-2020 @ 9:19 AM
  Thanks, I'm just putting in the crank and then I'll do the valves before I install the piston/rod assemblies. I can do the rest of the assembly with the motor upright on the stand but I didn't want to have to install the crank by wrestling it up and into the motor, too many chances for error! Thanks again for your input!

alanwoodieman    -- 10-26-2020 @ 10:11 AM
  I sure hope you have the engine supported by the exhaust manifold bolts, or at least supported by the front also if you have a conventional engine stand

oatycorb    -- 10-26-2020 @ 2:35 PM
  No worries, my engine stand was handmade by the original owner of my car specifically for Ford flatheads and was welded together in the mid 50's. Made out of huge I beams and half inch thick steel plate, it's got a T shaped support up front that the engine mount ears on the water pumps rest on so the front of the motor is supported quite well. It must weigh 100 pounds I'm sure. It works quite well and allows you access to everything but you can't rotate the engine.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14272