Topic: 1950 Ford Conv Brakes

50convertible    -- 10-22-2020 @ 11:16 AM
  I have a breaking issue with my 50 ford. When I apply medium hard pressure to the breaks the car wants to pull to the right . When I apply even harder pressure the car really wants to veer hard to the right. Looking for some guidance on a corrective action.

Thanks.......JT

40cpe    -- 10-22-2020 @ 11:28 AM
  Look for contaminants on the passenger side brake shoes. Oil, grease, and brake fluids will soak into the shoes and make them soft, soft shoes brake with more force.

TomO    -- 10-23-2020 @ 7:09 AM
  If the right front brake shoes are clean, check for a bad flexible hose to the left fron wheel cylinder. If it is plugged or deteriorating on the inside, replace or rebuild both front wheel cylinders.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 10-23-2020 @ 3:50 PM
  Right On!!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 10-23-2020 @ 3:51 PM
  Right on Tom!!

Regards, Steve Lee

50convertible    -- 10-26-2020 @ 4:45 AM
  Thank-you both for your input! Can the brake pads be cleaned? If so any suggestions?

Regards........JT

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-26-2020 @ 7:38 AM
  hi
dirty brakes, you can try the spray brake cleaner , soaking the brake shoes ,and the drums,
clean thoroughly both surfaces,
also BON AMI, powder or similar cleanser ,,can be uses after the brakes are dry,
sprinkle on, or spoon in though the brake adjustment hole,
this will also clean the drum surface,
this just might be the answer, it all depends how long and how dirty the surfaces are,
you can always change the brake shoes if it does not work,
hope this helps, 37Ragtopman

TomO    -- 10-26-2020 @ 7:39 AM
  If you have grease on your brake shoes, the best practice is to replace them and repack your wheel bearings with new seals. You should do the same thing to the other side to keep things in balance. You can use brake cleaner to clean the drums.

If you have brake fluid on your shoes, you should replace or rebuild all wheel cylinders and replace the shoes on both sides of the front or rear where you had the failure. You can use brake cleaner to clean the drums.

Brake cleaner will clean off the lining, so will soaking the shoes in alcohol, but it is not recommended because you cannot be sure that you have completely cleaned the linings and you may have to repeat the procedure several times.

Tom

agriffey    -- 10-26-2020 @ 10:25 PM
  All good advice.
When you have the drums off check the shoes for correct position.
On ‘49 and newer Fords the shoes with short brake lining go to the front on each wheel and the shoes with the long lining go to the rear.
The short shoes are leading shoes. If you put two leading shoes on the right front the brakes will pull to the right.
Best of luck and keep us posted.
Aaron Griffey

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=14268